Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Archicad 25 6002 Mac extremely slow performance zooming in on text.

PClarke
Booster

Hello, I have made a few topics about my issues with running Archicad on Mac's.

My latest problem is Archicad 25 is running at around 1 frame per 10 seconds after zooming in on text - not even zooming in very far; around 1000% on 1:100 scale.

This is Archicad 25 6002. Running latest version of Mac Catalina 10.15.7

Program should run fast given the specs but its always run around a quarter or less the speed of an equivalent windows PC, however after updating to patch 6002 it is now running at 1% or less the expected speed when zooming in - so at this point it is quicker to run the program on 20+ year old computer.

I can uninstall and reinstall so its not using patch 6002 which may resolve the problem, however I specifically upgraded to patch 6002 to resolve a separate issue - text partially cutting off / being invisible until I zoom in really close.

So the choice is 25 updated to 6002 where it is too slow to run when zooming in on text, or 25 prior to the 6002 update where I can't see text unless I zoom in close.

Is there a setting specifically regarding text within Archicad or in Mac system settings that might be able to resolve this? I have pretty low expectations.

8 REPLIES 8
Barry Kelly

Do you have an SSA or Forward support agreement?

If so, this is something I would be getting your local support involved with.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

We do, we've approached our local support quite a few times before but we have never had an issue resolved by this means as they are all bugs / glitches Archicad has with Mac's that have never been fixed / figured out by Graphisoft.

All of these issues are Mac only.

I've been waiting since around 2014/15 to simply be able use 3d explore mode on a Mac without needing a Magic Mouse.

In the past it has been much more helpful to ask the forums because out of one reply in a hundred there might be someone who has encountered the same issue and was able to fix it - although normally they have no idea what fixed it, but they are at least able to shine some light on the subject.

Hence seeing if anyone has had this issue with text lagging Archicad and has been able to fix it.

Problem occurs on default text types installed on Mac's (ie Arial) so its not an issue with custom fonts.

Are you having the issue on one Mac or multiple macs? We’ve got 25 build 6002 running on all of our machines and no issue shave been reported to me. We are all on either Ventura or Monterey. Some machines are 2017 iMacs and some are 2020 M1 MacMinis. Have you tried resetting the PRAM and SMC or the Mac, also you’d be surprised how often simply restarting in safe mode and then rebooting the machine helps with issues like this. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

We did have a weird issue some time back with jittering and slow zoom when we were using a third party add on to enable middle click on the magic mice. When the add-on was updated it seemed to solve those issues too. 

Lee Hankins
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

@Lee Hankins wrote:

We are all on either Ventura or Monterey.

The original poster is using Catalina OS.

I know very little about Macs.

Is maybe this OS too old?

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Apologies, the computer I was on at the time was Catalina, but the other computers in the office are Monterey 12.5.1.

I will look into resetting the PRAM and SMC.

I will also look into third party add ons - we have twin motion but its not installed on the computer I am currently using which also has the lagging when zoomed in on text issue.

All the computers that are updated to Archicad 25 6002 seem to have the same issue.

We are using 4x retina 5k 2020 and a couple of the most recent M1 mac's (they were purchased new around September or October 2022), but we only use the M1's for spreadsheets / word docs as anything doing significant graphics processing is just way way too slow on the M1 - even worse than the problem I have on the retina 5k when zooming in.

We did try Archicad 26 on the M1's but they are just way too slow in general to be used for anything drafting related - this isn't an archicad problem - we have the same problems with essentially any program on the M1's including programs built for ARM.

That’s really odd. We have Archicad 26 Silicon, we did have Intel and also have Archicad 25 running on our M1 MacMinis and our M1 MacBook Pros and have absolutely no issues with performance. They far outperform our 27” Intel iMacs. Do you have any antivirus software that could be causing a performance issue?

Lee Hankins
macOS Sonoma (14.2)
DGSketcher
Legend

@PClarke From what you are describing it sounds like something outside AC. As Lee has suggested... Are you running any antivirus software on your system(s)? If so have you tried running without?

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)