Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Multiple Stacked Modules

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am working on a project where a series of modules are hotlinked into each other i.e. a hot water tank module is linked into an apartment module, which is linked into a building drawing, which is in turn linked into a site plan. If I change the dimensions of the hot water tank (at the bottom of the stack) it seems that I need to update all of the modules above it one at a time. What I want to do is open the site plan or building plan and have all of the hotwater tanks automatically update as would happen if I used a series of nested x refs in AutoCAD. Any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Updating hotlinked modules requires opening the files that contain the instances to be updated. I don't think there is any way around this (I don't think that linked views can trigger the process). It seems that you are pushing the function to (or past) its practical limits. I have often used hotlinks up to three levels deep, but past this (ie your hot water tank) seems like too much overhead.

It would be nice to have this option but I suspect that it might need to be part of a larger reorganization of the file structure. Perhaps I am wrong and GS could enable this in much the same way that views can be updated in linked models.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm sure that it is quite feasible to for the Hotlink Manager to have facilities to update nested modules, just like in the layout view you can update external files in a separate archicad session (in windows - in BGArchiCAD on a Mac?), though with multiple nesting it could get quite a long process.

I think a really useful function would be to be able to select a module within the project and to have the option by means of the contextual menu to open the module for editing in another session of ArchiCAD. A similar approach could be used for updating the module.
TomWaltz
Participant
It's only really useful if you are using a direct Hotlink to another PLN or the MOD file is a simple element. If you are using any kind of master PLN to generate multiple modules via layer combinations you would need something more advanced.
Tom Waltz