Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Renovation Override and lineweights

Anonymous
Not applicable
First, I LOVE the renovation filter in AC15. A good portion of my firm's work is renovation, and the filter simplifies significantly.

I know that there is a glitch with the renovation override and the fill patterns showing, as seen on other posts. My question is this. If I have the renovation override on for "Demolition" and it changes the color of the element, is the lineweight supposed to change to reflect the override? I have attached an image that shows a cadimage door element with the following filters:
- existing (original lineweights)
- Demolition override
- existing (lineweight is the same as the demolition override)

Since our firm does not use color for construction documents, the lineweight thickness is our primary way to distinguish demo elements.
12 REPLIES 12
David Maudlin
Rockstar
jballar:

What I see is that the original line weights of the element are retained, while the override color is applied to the element. I don't know how you got your example, and whether it being a Cadimage door is an issue. Do you get the same result w/ an ArchiCAD door? (The window in my example is not from the ArchiCAD library)

David
Reno_line_weights.gif
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David,

Thanks for responding. The example you posted is consistent with what I am experiencing.

Yes, it is the lineweight that I am interested in. I used a Cadimage door in the previous example, but it can be any element (wall, door, line, etc...) and it will produce a similar result.

Ideally, I would like the lineweight to reflect the pen set color of the demolition override, so all of my demolition elements can be printed with a heavy lineweight on the demo plan and "regular" lineweight on the existing plan.
jballar wrote:
bIdeally, I would like the lineweight to reflect the pen set color of the demolition override, so all of my demolition elements can be printed with a heavy lineweight on the demo plan and "regular" lineweight on the existing plan.
Yes, and existing elements with a lighter lineweight than new elements in the "new plans". The override should affect the lineweight, not just the color (the output, not just the screen display). This seems like another oversight on GS's part.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC27 US (5003) on Mac OS Ventura 13.6.2
Started on AC4.0 in 91/92/93; full-time user since AC8.1 in 2004
Anonymous
Not applicable
So does that mean we're stuck with this glitch at the moment? Does anyone have a workaround to this problem?

The renovation tool is VERY useful to our firm; we upgraded because of this reason. We're currently experiencing the same problem as jballar. Without being able to override the line weights kind of defeats the purpose of using this tool (for us at least). I hope GS can fix this soon!
Sightline
Contributor
This does not make any sense. I can not see any use for the pen (color) if it does not affect the line weight. This was not addressed in ArchiCAD 16.

Graphisoft. Would you please pay attention to this matter?
Diego Torres
Architect-CG Artist
Architectural Concepts and Visualizations
ArchiCAD 4.55 - 24
http://www.sightline3d.com
Sightline
Contributor
There is a similar issue with the fills.
Diego Torres
Architect-CG Artist
Architectural Concepts and Visualizations
ArchiCAD 4.55 - 24
http://www.sightline3d.com
Csaba Kezer
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Dear All,

Thank you for your comments and feedback on this matter.
Lines and Fills with Renovation Override are using the element's initial pen weight by design. As it is written on the Renovation Override Styles settings you can change the lines' and fills' color only.

However we do understand that the possibility of choosing the pen itself can be misleading/can suggest that you are setting color AND pen weight.

Also, there is no doubt that there are situations when having different pen weights for the same fills/lines on different renovation filters would be necessary, or would give a better result. That is why we are considering giving a possibility to set the pen weight as well.

The current method is working fine for many users therefore we wouldn't like to replace this easy working and simple method, but leave room for both of these solutions in the future.

Best regards,
Csaba Kézér
Director, Global Customer Support
Graphisoft
Barry Kelly
Csaba wrote:
The current method is working fine for many users therefore we wouldn't like to replace this easy working and simple method, but leave room for both of these solutions in the future.
Personally I think the only reason the current method is working fine is because that is the only choice we have.
Please be consistent and make it so pen colour = line thickness.
If I want a different pen colour with the same thickness I would set up a pen set that allows this.
I would also guess that a lot of users will be producing plans in greyscale (black & white) so the colour isn't that important - but the pen thickness is.

Leave both options if you must but please allow for the pen thickness to be altered.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I personally like the fact the pen thickness is maintained when you change colour. I set my Existing elements to grey outlines with lighter grey fills. Seems to work o.k. for me.