General discussions
Posts about job ads, news about competitions, events, learning resources, research, etc.

is BIM too overrated?

Aaron Lewis
Participant

Have you notice that only BIM trainers have financial profit from BIM?

I will try to justify my observation. For most clients, it doesn't matter whether the project will be made using the BIM method or not. Only important for an architect if he wants to make a project using BIM technology. But it's not always easier for architectural companies (you need a staff who knows BIM, software, a lot of time to implement or solve some issues, etc.) I realize that BIM is a process, not only a tool. So you really have to reshape your organization, and there’s a significant amount of cost upfront to go through that process. I also know about the benefits of BIM because I use it, and it's more like for satisfaction. But is it worth it for an average architectural practice? After all, the process of working in BIM is not easy and requires a lot of effort and money, and the more advanced you are in BIM, the more you need to invest each time resources and funds. If you don't have a BIM culture in the company, you can also make the same projects and save money don't using BIM ( as mentioned above - staff, software, time). 

Have you also noticed that BIM is too overrated (generally by a BIM training organizations) ?

Aaron

5 REPLIES 5
DGSketcher
Legend

Overrated - Possibly. Over complicated - Absolutely. BIM - Three letters that will make most members of the Construction Industry glaze over or run away from a project when compliance is suggested.

As some BIM experts would testify, much of it is already in our workflow, it is just the software companies in the process of trying to classify and track everything made it a data management nightmare requiring disproportionate resources the further down the food chain you sit. Government contract with open budget - no problem. Small commercial development - best not trying to dig too deep into the "requirements" & suggested workflows.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
rjwilden
Booster

For a small practice, overrated, absolutely! There are many function I just ignore, as the time req to, A learn it, and B keep up to-date is unsustainable.

Graphisoft puts a lot of effort into developing tools that sit idle, while ignoring many of its core tools. Does Graphisoft even know, how may people are using its BIM tools?  I have been here since 1998 and never been asked what tools Im using?

Richard Wilden Design. Ltd
Dunedin, New Zealand.
Imac 27" i9 3.6GHz; 32GB Ram Mac OS 11.3
Archicad V23:V24
Tim Ball
Expert

I think each practice has to decide how they want to benefit from BIM, then make a business case for that benefit. It’s just another way of drawing and if it doesn’t make sense, then don’t invest.

I have worked hard to maximise the benefits so that I can a strong return on the time spent learning. The cost of time far outweighs the cost of the software or computer.

So if you want to get the benefits you need to commit time to learning it thoroughly and that’s a steep learning curve. If you only half commit you’re wasting your time and money.

Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5
Botonis
Advisor

BIM is not the tool.

BIM is the way of analysing the construction during the design phase.

It is the mentality of simulating in your mind the construction via the design.

You could be using a 2D software and thinking in a BIM way better than others who are using a 3D platform.

Botonis Botonakis
Civil Engineer, Enviromental Design MSc., BIM Manager for BS ArhitectsVR
Company or personal website
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.
Karl Ottenstein

@Aaron Lewis wrote:

Have you notice that only BIM trainers have financial profit from BIM?

Your post - your first - seems both strange and click-bait.  I'm not sure why you don't think that every firm, small or large, that uses BIM profits from the insane productivity boost that the process and the tools provide?  Yes, there is more up-front loading of labor to make the end phases just cruising.  So, if an individual's or firm's pricing model doesn't take that into account - or their main work is competitions, requiring unpaid preliminary designs, then, yes, it would be hard to profit.  But for a normal workflow, I cannot think of a methodology and associated toolsets that would drive more profit for an architectural firm.  By saying "only trainers", you seem to be implying that there is no financial profit for firms that have adopted BIM, which is clearly disproven by all of the evidence globally.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!