Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

AC12 lib update, some CW disappeared

Erika Epstein
Booster
I installed the library update for AC12 US archicad notified me was available. I several buildings that are round in section which I made with the Curtain wall tool. The bottom halves were made with copies rotated in 3D to form the bottom half.
When I reopened a file I had closed prior to installing the library update, all the curtain walls I had rotated copies had disappeared!
I just recreated them, but had to redo all the panel customization.

I checked another file that was a version of this project and the same thing had happened: all the bottom halfs were missing.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
16 REPLIES 16
Karl Ottenstein
That sounds pretty scary, Erika! Thanks for posting - I'm going to zip up my current library folder before installing the update so that it is easier to move back in case the new bugs are worse than the fixes.

Looks like a lot of things fixed in the US lib release notes:
http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/downloads/LibReleaseNotes/AC12-USA-LibHotfix2.html

but I don't see everything that i hoped to see (no big surprise)... I have at least a dozen old bugs not in the list of fixes, so I hope to find that they are fixed and just not shown...

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Karl wrote:
but I don't see everything that i hoped to see (no big surprise)... I have at least a dozen old bugs not in the list of fixes, so I hope to find that they are fixed and just not shown...
Nope. The killer door/window bugs that I (and others) reported have not been fixed. It is just unacceptable that nearly a year after 12 has been released, that I cannot get a model or documents out of 12 using the standard library and utilizing the new features (complex profiled elements and partial structure display) in a way that should have maximized my productivity, but instead cut it to a crawl.

It's as if someone sold you a hybrid car, touting the fuel economy - and then you discover that the electric motor overheats after a few minutes and you need to run only on the conventional engine anyway. And, then you find that their warranty service is just a phone operator who takes messages. I usually don't rant, but my patience has completely run out, waiting months and months for this library update which still does not fix things.

Grrrr,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Jefferson
Participant
Karl I couldn't agree more with you about this failure of "stock" parts to accomplish even typical goals of my-our design process..............are you recommending that I not install the library update? [I was SO dismayed at the failure of the 12 windows that I don't use any of them! Relegated to the migration 11 library.]

I have also been watching the posts about Ralph Wessel's Modular Joinery tool with tremendous envy! Has anyone state-side been able to acquire it yet? We have to wonder what it's going to take for Graphisoft to make this failure up to us, some consolation until they can rectify the 12 library is in order!! A free distribution of Ralph's tool might go a long ways[ ], as well as reward what appears to be some rather stellar ingenuity!
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
Rick Thompson
Expert
I find it interesting that most "fixes" are related to windows and doors. This seems like the norm with most releases.. over and over. Another reason I am glad I made the decision versions ago (around 6.5 or so) to not use GS windows and doors. It is ashamed though, but has proven to be the best decision. I wonder if this is typical with other CAD software.. Revit, Microstation.. etc. Scary, and hardly good for business (GS and end user).
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Jefferson
Participant
Rick I forget which window & door library-tool you went with, CadImage Door & Window Builder or Real Doors & Windows. Perhaps you could elaborate why you chose it, and if it meets yuor needs..........It was a real shock for me to migrate to 12 from 10, my typical two version jump, with high expectations and find the windows and doors had in effect gotten worse, WAY worse!
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't feel obligated to update anymore unless
maybe a rebate is offered in some form.
The cumulative world wide loss of wages must be staggering.
As if we don't have enough problems as it is!

Jefferson, I like your idea of Ralph's Joinery tool as consolation
for not providing upgrade as "promised" this late in the 12 game.
Time to pony up Graphisoft.
Rick Thompson
Expert
Jefferson wrote:
Rick I forget which window & door library-tool you went with, CadImage Door & Window Builder or Real Doors & Windows.
Hey Jeff... Way back when I started using.. Real Doors and Windows... it was because I needed to have windows with 5/4x6 casing. You could not do this with AC. Over the years AC has implemented these things, but I am frankly scared to use AC's. I am also uncomfortable with add-ons, so it's a pickle. I end up reusing plans over and over for years. Many of them were "born" in the early 1990's, before my CAD days, and I still sell them each and every year. They are constantly updated to new AC/features. So, the issue of future potential problems is very real for me. Either way it is just one of those risk you take. So far Neil (the guy who makes Real Doors and Windows) has stayed on top of releases and I only had issue once when he did a major rewrite. To his credit he responds to email and works through the issues of compatibility very quickly.. even during beta testing he welcomes feedback... (or so it seems )

I am very satisfied with his library.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Erika Epstein
Booster
I bought smart parts years ago for many of the same reasons as Rick, they did what AC did not. I also like that they are library parts and not an add-on. (not that there aren't some great add-ons).

The regression of AC12s doors and windows is outrageous: these building components are intrinsic to all of our work.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Jefferson wrote:
I have also been watching the posts about Ralph Wessel's Modular Joinery tool with tremendous envy! Has anyone state-side been able to acquire it yet? We have to wonder what it's going to take for Graphisoft to make this failure up to us, some consolation until they can rectify the 12 library is in order!! A free distribution of Ralph's tool might go a long ways[ ], as well as reward what appears to be some rather stellar ingenuity!
The irony here is that the tool is already free for distributors to give to subscribers. GS UK have taken the initiative and commissioned me to develop objects frequently requested by UK users, so the object belongs to them. They have offered it free to other distributors, but it hasn't reached many end users...

I'm hoping it does reach a wide audience eventually. It embodies a number of ideas for making objects quicker & easier to use, more flexible, and uncluttered - concepts that I hope will find their way into more GS objects.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems