Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

AC9 File info

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone,

A newbie here with a question. I have a computer with AC9 and winXP that I used at my old employer. I now have it at home and when I click on the .pln file in explorer, in the details part it shows a logo of my old employer. Any idea how I can get rid of that logo associated with my .pln files or better yet how I can replace it with my logo?

See attached file
13 REPLIES 13
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
vistasp wrote:
Does anyone have suggestions on how to make good use of it?
I always insert the company logo when I create custom templates.

Cheers,
Link.
Karl Ottenstein
I always used to create a custom preview image, including a logo for a template as Link does. But, then I noticed that the icons for backup files could not be distringuished visually. Without a preview image, the backup file icons have a red arrow on them.

So, I have not used the preview image feature for some years now. But, perhaps GS has resolved the issue with backups having the same icon as projects?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Hey Karl

I think it may be worth discussing this concept, as functionality has certainly changed over the years. Maybe you or anyone else may be willing to confirm the following or offer alternatives:

---------------------------------

As far as I can tell on my Windows XP SP3, the ArchiCAD preview will only appear in Windows Explorer if you have the 'View' set to Thumbnails. Any other view option will still show the icon.

Also, if 'Show common tasks in folders' is enabled via Tools>Folder Options>General, then Windows Explorer will show the preview under the Details section.

The ArchiCAD preview will also be available via the file's Properties.

On my Windows Vista Business Edition, the ArchiCAD preview becomes visible in Windows Explorer when the 'View' is set to Medium, Large, or Extra Large Icons, or Tiles. And the icon appears if the view is set to Small Icons, List or Details.

In any case I personally always recommend that file extensions are shown in all Windows folders, which in turn enables them inside ArchiCAD.

In ArchiCAD 12's Open dialog itself, (in Vista or XP) we can use the same 'View' options as in Windows Explorer, but we can also enable the 'Preview' option from the top right hand corner to show the ArchiCAD preview in a pane of it's own.

On my Mac OS 10.4.11 (I'll update soon I promise!), unless I am missing something obvious, the ArchiCAD preview doesn't show in Finder at all. Not even in the 'Info' window?

In ArchiCAD 12's Open dialog, if the view option is set to 'Columns', then the preview will appear in the right hand pane, once the file is selected.

Given all that I wonder if a simple change of 'View' would still allow the use of the ArchiCAD preview?

Cheers,
Link.
Karl Ottenstein
Link wrote:
On my Mac OS 10.4.11 (I'll update soon I promise!), unless I am missing something obvious, the ArchiCAD preview doesn't show in Finder at all. Not even in the 'Info' window?

In ArchiCAD 12's Open dialog, if the view option is set to 'Columns', then the preview will appear in the right hand pane, once the file is selected.
The preview does not show up in the 12 Open dialog or anywhere else in the Mac interface under OS 10.5.6 So, no benefit at all to using it on Macs - just makes the file a tiny bit bigger.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB