Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Apple's Mighty Mouse & AC9

MSotero
Participant
My Apple Mighty Mouse arrived.... plug it in and it goes (my OS 10.3.9 does not allow for "customizing" mouse options.... one needs Tiger for that and one needs to install their mouse software for Tiger).
Apparently it works with Windows 2000 & XP without additional software too, but it is unclear exactly which functions are avaiable as the manual says to see the Mouse control panel for that.

Ergonomics:
Overall it feels very natural in the hand.
I've never been attracted to the multi-button mice due to feeling so clunky.
The Scroll Ball and left/right button/sensors are very smooth and unobtrusive and for me intuitive.

Using it in AC9:
The Scroll ball activates pan & zoom commands in the plan & 3d views in AC9 automatically & simultaneously.
Up/down or left/right ball movements will zoom in/out.
The position of the cursor on screen will be the center of the zoom (does not require one to press down on anything, just move the cursor where you want the center).
If you press & hold down the scroll ball, then it Pans. If you move the ball while holding it down, then you can Pan & Zoom simultaneously.

The "default" right click does what the Control/Click does with a basic apple mouse.
I don't necessary see this as an advantage over Control/Click as it all seems to be personal preference. But accommodating personal preference is a good thing.
Further you can override exactly what right clicking does if desired (see below).

Expose:
Expose is a nice way for viewing or changing which plan/section/3d window you are using.
In 10.3.9 one can control the Expose activation for Mighty Mouse choosing System Preferences... and clicking Expose.

The Mouse settings at the bottom of the dialog work differently depending on the "exact combination" you use. It seems strange.
You'll need to experiment as I can't find any written explanation why it works as it does.
Also you can use modifier keys such as Command, Control, Option or Shift to change what happens.

For instance the following setting combination does this:
All Windows: Mouse Button 4 (will spread out all open application windows when squeezing the side buttons)
Application Windows: Right Mouse Button (will spread out only current application windows, e.g. AC9) note if you use a modifier key here with the right button, then you can maintain the default right click action too.

I was surprised at how much I like using the mouse to activate Expose and the scroll ball does seem to make it much quicker to move around.
55 REPLIES 55
MSotero
Participant
Joseph wrote:
WOW this is an unbelievable software, I have taken back my MM to the desk and using it full and even with 5 assigned short cut keys plus the left click!!!!
I assigned short cut keys to Right & Left scroll also!
Sounds useful! You got Steer Mouse right (versus the other option in the article)?
I noted that Steer Mouse can assign unique shortcuts for each application too.
How about sharing your current 5 mouse shortcuts for AC9 (we know you're likely still in the experimentation stages)?
I'm thinking the left/right scroll could be doing something else for me since it is duplicating the up/down right now, but am wondering what you came up with?
Rick Thompson
Expert
Joseph wrote:
I assigned short cut keys to Right & Left scroll also!
Great, Thanks,
Joseph
Can you tell me if Steermouse allows you to assign the delete key to a button? I have been doing this for years with a Kensington Optical 5 button mouse (but the scrolling is really jumpy), and not having that is not an option for me... (maybe not a good sign... but it saves me a lot of time:) I do have the MM and like it, but don't use it for this reason.

thanks
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Answer to last 2 above:
1. I use the other 2 let & right short keys for Cmd+TA to right and Cmd+A to left.
2. Rick you can assign an AC specific short key of "del" for delete to any of the keys; on to drop down use "short Key" & on the bottom drop down "del" key. It works great. I am glad to be able to contribute to you a little after the ideas you gave me on creating details on AC.
Thanks,
Joseph
Anonymous
Not applicable
MM was a disappointment to me. Maybe I´ve had my MS wireless too long .
Zoom works in 8.1 but not pan, nor zoom or pan works in ArchiCad 9, sigh.
I´m not very keen on installing, and tampering with, additional software on 40 computers in order to make it work in ArchiCad 9.
Guess I´ll have to wait or stick with my old MS-mouse .

By the way, found out that pressing the shift-key while using the scroll-wheel rotates an object in 3D-view instead of zooming.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry! Forgot to tell you that your comments where helpful, thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I can confirm the problem. No scroll in AC 9.

Is this an issue to do with Apple MM software or Graphisoft?

My MM mouse works fine in Photoshop & other software??
fuzzytnth3
Booster
Is not so Mighty with ArchiCAD

Using the scroll wheel to pan and zoom doesn't work

I don't suppose anyone has managed to find away to get it to work have they?

tia
AC versions 3.41 to 25 (UKI Full 5005).
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Fuzzy

Do you look at this ?
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=7664

HTH
fuzzytnth3
Booster
That's weird I did a search "Mighty Mouse" and I didn't find anything.

Any hoo thanks I shall checkout the links as I'm not getting it to work the way MSotero is
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
fuzzytnth3
Booster
I installed the software on one machine and it can only pan. It can't zoom no matter what settings I've tried.

On another machine I didn't install the software but I can pan and zoom in ArchiCAD and in photoshop I could scroll horizontally and diagonally, everything worked fine except for the side buttons which I'm not bothered about.

So all I've got to do (arrgh) is remove the mighty mouse software!!!

Oh btw

one weird thing I find is to get the right click to work you must remove your index finger from the left buttons surface otherwise it won't respond (I'm right handed btw)
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL