Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.
SOLVED!

ArchiCAD mouse pointer insanely small Windows 10

Paul King
Mentor
Is anyone else finding that on a 4K screen, following the recent Windows 10 Creators update, that the ArchiCAD mouse pointer is now insanely small? (for all ArchiCAD versions)

ArchiCAD is the only application so affected, and while increasing windows UI scaling, and increasing windows mouse pointer size to maximum within Windows Control Panel generallyworks as expected for everything else, the mouse pointer once moved over the ArchiCAD application window) becomes so tiny it is barely visible - and certainly the ArchiCAD dynamic pointer style context feedback is utterly undetectable.

This seems to stem from ArchiCAD's non compliant method of handling the custom mouse pointer DPI scaling rather than anything with the OS - as is demonstrated by nearly ALL other applications that predate the windows update being unaffected. (perhaps a compromise or carry over from the way custom mouse feedback is implemented for the Mac platform?)

Rolling back to or reinstalling an earlier version of Windows 10 are not good options in my case.

What have others done to solve this serious problem?
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
25 REPLIES 25
Barry Kelly
Maybe the latest preview update 6000 will help?
241225 USER INTERFACE: Typically on 4k monitors that were scaled up on Windows, a cursor could be offset from the model element it was referencing.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Paul King
Mentor
Yes! This update does seem to help. Thanks for the heads up

Text and line work is being pixelated (with oversized pixels) on screen on my 200% scaled 4K display, even with GPU acceleration set to maximum, so scaling issues still not fixed throughout.

Mouse pointer at least is normal size again which is the main thing, and is not pixelated

Hopefully full DPI scaling awareness is in the works?
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
Paul King
Mentor
.... aaaand now the pointer is back to insanely small again. It seems updating ArchiCAD and registry tweaks is a temporary fix that works until the user reboots, but does not address the fundamental cause.

Come on Graphisoft, when are you going to actually fix this?
latecia
Participant
So my cursor seems to be the correct size on the screen when I start the command, but if i select one of the drafting aides such as parallel, perpendicular or such the cursor gets so small you can hardly see it, and using the trick on the registry only makes the cursor large and pixelated, but it still reverts to insanely small if you try to use one of the drafting aides. And I can't seem to find anyone else that is having this problem except the other people in our office.
Latecia Herzog
Myers Anderson

Windows 10 Pro
Processor: Intel Core i7-7700t CPU @ 2.9 GHz
Memory: 16 GB DDR4 RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro P3000 6.14GB GDDR5
Duel Monitors: Dell P2417H
User Since: 1999 v6.0
ArchiCAD 22 (7000 USA Full)
Barry Kelly
latecia wrote:
And I can't seem to find anyone else that is having this problem except the other people in our office.

It has been mentioned here ... https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=66526

And it is a known problem.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
latecia
Participant
Thank you, I will keep watching for the fix.
Latecia Herzog
Myers Anderson

Windows 10 Pro
Processor: Intel Core i7-7700t CPU @ 2.9 GHz
Memory: 16 GB DDR4 RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro P3000 6.14GB GDDR5
Duel Monitors: Dell P2417H
User Since: 1999 v6.0
ArchiCAD 22 (7000 USA Full)