Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

How to remove Scratch files that keeps on coming back like a ghost from Christmas past?

So we have these scratch files that keeps on coming back in our project folders (file server). Is there away to delete them permanently? We delete then every time the window gets refreshed, it appears again. The file size is also an issue because it's the same size as the project files (pln & mod).

When a PLN was being saved, these scratch files were created. Saving ended up in an error (Cannot save Pln).When a PLN was being saved, these scratch files were created. Saving ended up in an error (Cannot save Pln).
These scratch files were created during module publishing. Publishing failed.These scratch files were created during module publishing. Publishing failed.

6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly

They are your PLN/MOD files.

Archicad creates these scratch files as it saves and then renames them with the proper extension when the save is complete.

I see you are saving to 'shared files'.

If this is some kind of cloud sharing or a folder that is being synchronised with other folders, then that is the problem.

Archicad can not get through the process of creating the PLN file before the synchronisation kicks in and messes it all up.

Don't save to cloud or synchronising folders unless you can control when they synchronise (i.e. not while you are saving files).

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Hi Barry,

This is a folder in our local server--not on cloud, just in the local area network. But I will inform our IT...so there's no solution to this? There's no way to remove these scratch files? It's taking up prime real estate in our project folder. 😅

I see it is a network folder, but the fact it is called 'shared files' makes me think there is some kind of synchronisation happening with other folders?

You really don't want to delete the scratch files as they are your real files before the save process has completed.

The error message you are getting is because it could not rename the scratch file to .PLN

The only reason I can think of for this to not happen properly is because something (synchronisation) has messed up the process.

If you are successfully saving your files (and only sometimes getting this error message), then yes these scratch files can be deleted.

But make sure you do have a current .PLN saved.

It is a bit of a guess to know which file they actually belong to (apart from the file size might give you a hint).

Maybe renaming them and adding the .PLN file extension manually will allow you to open them?

But the big question is why is your system not allowing you to successfully save an Archicad file?

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Hi Barry,

Saving was already sorted. Our problem right now is we can't seem to delete them. I will try renaming the files to pln and see if that would help us finally remove them.

They should just delete like any other file.

But maybe Archicad thinks it is still saving them, so you might need to shut down all Archicad sessions.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Yeah, should be. That's why me and our IT are finding this issue weird. We tried closing Archicad then deleting the files but they keep on appearing again after refresh. Will try deleting the files using as server admin log in and see if that sorts it out. Thanks for your reply Barry.