Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

MAC users of Archicad17?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I am currently upgrading my computers and server to suit Archicad's requirements. My primary choice is a Apple Mac, however I know in other cases software has been stopped on Mac, and I was wondering if anyone know what % use Mac in Archicad17, or they have heard any rumours about this happening
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Karl Ottenstein
Only beta testers use anything with AC 17 so far, as it doesn't start shipping for a few weeks yet. 😉

AC 17 is fully supported on the Mac. No indications at all that they would stop development.

I don't know if even GS knows what % of users are on Mac vs PC since there is just a single license for both platforms. (Maybe when people upgrade their keys online they keep track of which browser/platform was used ... but that doesn't mean that same platform is used in practice.)

You can browse through topics here on the forums and see how many people list a Mac in their signature...
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I very much doubt that GS will drop Mac OS support. It was originally developed on Mac (well Lisa actually) and remains a significant advantage compared to running Revit in Boot Camp or a virtual machine.

FWIW my clients and associates have been about equally split between Mac and Windows. There may be more seats in Windows as that tends to be the choice in larger firms, but I wouldn't be surprised if the number of companies using ArchiCAD on Mac edges out Windows due to all the small and sole practice operators.
kevin b
Contributor
There's a statue of Steve Jobs in front of Graphisoft HQ in Budapest if that helps you decide.
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Intel Core i7 -8700 @ 3.2 GHz~ 16 GB ram
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If you look at the trajectory of Apple's growth in many areas and the fact that it is one of the world's most valuable companies, it is hard for me to see how anyone could be thinking about dropping support for Mac. The sales of Mac computers have been outpacing that of PCs significantly in the last several years.
Even Autodesk started redeveloping AutoCAD for Mac a few years ago.
If Graphisoft didn't drop Mac support around the turn of the certury when Apple almost when bankrupt, then why would they do it now?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
KenMcN
Contributor
And forcing existing Mac users to switch platform would inevitably lead to some deciding to have a close look at the competition on the Windows side… not a great marketing move, IMHO
V25 & 26 (fully patched); Mac Ventura, MacBook Pro M1 Max
Christiaan
Participant
kevin wrote:
There's a statue of Steve Jobs in front of Graphisoft HQ in Budapest if that helps you decide.
It's a shame Graphisoft can't honour him with a decent GUI instead.