Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Problem with reading ArchiCAD files off the MacPro Server

Anonymous
Not applicable
My company recently got a MacPro running on Mac OS X Server to replace a previous PC that acted as a server. We store all our files on it, including ArchiCAD. With this new MacPro server, the speed of accessing our files have been increased.

However, it acts up when I try to access ArchiCAD files from another Mac: -

1) When ArchiCAD starts up on my iMac, an error pops up, saying "The server may not exist or it is not operational at this time. Check the server name or IP address and try again."

This means that when I try to look for the last opened/saved project in the list, it is not available. I have to manually browse for the file stored on the MacPro server to open it. This happens on both AC10 and AC11.

2) Problem with translator files stored on the new MacPro server.

I am unable to utilize the translator file to export drawings to AutoCAD if the translator file is stored on the MacPro server. Only when they are copied out onto my desktop (both the translator .XML file as well as the .DWG template file) or anywhere do they function again.

3) As most people do, we save the ArchiCAD file periodically. Before I close the program, I would perform the save option. Immediately when I close ArchiCAD, it asks me again if I want to save before quitting.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post such a question, but does anyone out there also use a MacPro server running on Mac OS X Server, and experiencing such problems? Thanks
1 REPLY 1
Karl Barker
Participant
A while ago we stated using those dreaded PC's in our Mac office.
We run Mac OSX server on an old G5 box.
We had little of no problems opening Archicad files on the PC, but once the PC saved the file back, any mac machine had untold problems opening the file.
I suspect it is the same issue you are having.
What is discovered was that the file path to locate the libraries was different between the PC and the mac. The issue was that the PC was using the route path through C:/ whereas the mac was using the path macintosh HD/.
Herein lies the problem.
The workaround was to open the file on the mac and escape the cannot find server thing. you should then find that you will have the load library dialogue come up.
If you find your libraries, you should not ahve anymore problem with the file until a PC opens it again.
I think from memory, if we had all the libraries installed locally on the PC, there were less issues with the mac after that.
I suspect it would be a similar if not the same issue with the DWG translators.
The file path.

good luck.

Cheers,
Karl.
Cheers,
Karl Barker.

27" iMac 3.6 Ghz Intel Core i9
32 Gig Ram
Mac OSX 10.14.6
AC 5.5 - AC22 (NZE)