Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

What is the optimum environment for Archicad 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

Sometimes my computer is excruciatingly slow when performing operations with archicad 11. I'm wondering if my computer and/or graphics card need to be upgraded. (I know nothing about this kind of thing, so please bare with my ignorance:-)

This is my set up:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional 2002
AMD Athlon (tm) 64 x 2 Dual
Core Processor 3800+
2.01 GHz, 1.00GB of RAM
Adapter: NVIDIA Ge force 6200 Turbo Cache (TM)

Is there anything I can do to make my computer work faster?
Cheers
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable
well I never...
Thanks for the advice on my loser graphics card. Can anyone recommend a good one?
Thanks
Dwight
Newcomer
Olivia wrote:
well I never...
i know. makes a person think they are drawing with the blunt end of the crayon.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Olivia wrote:
well I never...
Thanks for the advice on my loser graphics card. Can anyone recommend a good one?
Thanks
I'm using the Nvidia GeForce 8800GT (512MB) quite happily. There have been numerous reports of problems with ATI cards so I avoid them (at least for now - these things change)
Dwight
Newcomer
And me, too, despite grumbling from some quarters about its performance with Motion and some other Apple applications.

Whatever you do,don't ask it to drive a second display sideways. Great gobs of color flashes!!!
Dwight Atkinson
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
the quadro 570 is a good 'un. nice and quick, stable, and cheap(for a Quadro). or the gf8800, if you want to play some games as well.
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
Anonymous
Not applicable
Any suggestions for AGP and PCI graphic card for my old workstation?
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Depends on the spec of the machine of course. For AGP, you shouls be able to get one of the GeForce 7xxx range. 7800 or 7900 for high-end, 7600Gt for mid-range. Of course, if you have a P4-1.6 or something, then the Graphics card is not going to make much difference.
If by PCI you mean the original(ie PCI 1), then forget it. You might be able to find a second hand GeForce 2 or something, but it will be terrible for archicad, as would any machine that only has a PCI slot in it(5 years old+).
If you mean PCIx16, then get anything you want, as that is the current standard.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Hnerypootel
It is always big advantage to have hardware freak in forum.
They can advice right things specially for AC.
Just one more question.
Is this one ok for Workstation need, regarding rendering and OpenGL and so on?
I informed, the fastest AGP graphiccard is Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800GS+, (512 MB) AGP.
In a moment I have Ati FireGL X2 256t, but I was very disapointed. I had to listen to the advice from this forum. This one is very loud, and bad OpenGL move.
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
well the 7800 is not a workstation card like your X2, but as a gaming card it will perform roughly twice as fast as a Radeon 9800, on which your X2 is based. Should be a bit quieter though. So in other words, yes, it will be much faster in ArchiCAD, but no guarantees can be made as to whether it will works without weird screen artifacts.
I have not heard of any problems with the 7800, so i would say it will be fine, but make sure you give it a good run-through in ArchiCAD before your 'right-of-return' expires.
BTW, the Graphics card will not effect your rendering performance, only your OpenGL 3D speed.

Dwight
Newcomer
Where would a fellow learn more about the cryptic world of graphics cards?
Dwight Atkinson