Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

2D Symbol window question

Craig Bagley
Contributor
Attached screen shot is the 2D Symbol window from the macro gs_general_w_macro_USA, (used for windows).

The lines and fills do not appear to be from any of the fragment layers. Are they from the 2D Script? 3D Script? another macro?

If scripted, where are the source commands?

Studying GDL basics in my spare time.

Screen shot 2011-09-11 at 10.34.48 AM.png
AC27 USA/Build 5030 16" MBP
7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly
This is not really anything to do with the scripts.
It is just a sample wall (actually the default wall that is set currently in your wall tool).
The gap in the middle is simply the wall hole in 2D (the same width as your "A" parameter).

As you script your window it will appear in this opening.

You can control the size of this opening further if you go into the "Details" button on the parameters screen when you open the object.
Here you will find "X" & "Y" oversizing fields. (X is the width (A parameter) and Y is the height (B parameter)).
You can add either a fixed value here and the opening will be adjusted by that amount all the time or it can be a parameter that can be controlled from your scripts so that the oversize can vary as needed.

This is a bit more advanced so to begin with leave them as "0".

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
Actually the "2D symbol" window allows you to manually draw lines to represent the window frame.
This will then show as the 2D image of the window without you having to do any 2D scripting.

You will see the same opening in the "2D full view" window but you must add GDL script to your 2D script to see the window frame.

The opening is still the "A" parameter width in both cases.
Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
One other thing...

The 2D symbol will show automatically as long as the 2D script is empty. Once anything is entered into the 2D script the 2D symbol will only appear if called by the script (with the Fragment2 statement).
Craig Bagley
Contributor
Barry wrote:
This is not really anything to do with the scripts.
It is just a sample wall (actually the default wall that is set currently in your wall tool).
The gap in the middle is simply the wall hole in 2D (the same width as your "A" parameter).
Barry.
Interesting....

I can manipulate the thickness of the wall and the pen color from the Wall Tool, and the width of the wall hole from the Parameters list. So, that tells me something.

I can't seem to change the Fill type, though, from either the Wall Tool, or the Fill Tool that remains active when the 2D Symbol window is active. Where's that information coming from? (as well as the length of wall displayed)

Craig
Anonymous
Not applicable
Craig wrote:
I can't seem to change the Fill type, though, from either the Wall Tool, or the Fill Tool that remains active when the 2D Symbol window is active. Where's that information coming from? (as well as the length of wall displayed)
It's not a fill. It is only there to show you the size of the opening in plan with a wall of the current default thickness. It is otherwise of no consequence.
Barry Kelly
Matthew wrote:
Craig wrote:
It's not a fill. It is only there to show you the size of the opening in plan with a wall of the current default thickness. It is otherwise of no consequence.
That's right.
It is only a visual cue to show you the size of the opening.
It has no impact on your final window.
It just uses the default wall tool thickness as a guide.
Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Craig Bagley
Contributor
Barry wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Craig wrote:
That's right.
It is only a visual cue to show you the size of the opening.
It has no impact on your final window.
It just uses the default wall tool thickness as a guide.
Barry.
OK....that clears it up for me.

Thanks, Barry
Thanks, Matthew
I appreciate your time and attention.

Craig