Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Adding 3D model to an existing 2D Object

Anonymous
Not applicable
I created an complete restaurant Object Library with at least 30 items that includes 2D Drawing, ID tags and Listing parameters. Now, when i try to create the 3D model of one object it looses all the data and the settings inserted, it looks like i have to create the complete object at once. So, is there a way to complete my work without loosing all that i have done so far?
1 REPLY 1
Barry Kelly
I am assuming you have created your 2D objects by selecting items and then saving them as an object.
And now you are trying to do the same with the 3D elements.
Saving with the same name as the existing 2D object will overwrite it as you have discovered.
You will need to save as a new name but then you have the problem of having 2 separate objects.

You will need to venture into the world of GDL scripting to solve this.
You may be able to open the scripts of both objects and then save the 3D script from the 3D object into the 3D script of the 2D object.
You may need to create new parameters for pens and materials as well (copy them from the 3D object and create them in the 2D object.
You may also have a problem where the position on the 2D view does not match the position of the 3D object - this can be solved with a little knowledge of GDL scripting (ADD & ROT commands).

Another way may be to create the 3D object.
This will give a 2D view as well that you can edit if need be by changing the 2D symbol drawing.
Then you can add the tags and listing parameters as you did originally.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11