Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Can someone give me a hint, please ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've just started to use ArchiForma. And I would like to make the lamp on the picture. I've just made it with no "air with a cylinder and the ruled extrusion. But are there a simple way to get the "holes"?

0820_secto1.jpg
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
In my library I can't find the pillow. I thought it should be below the Furnishing/Decoration, but it's not there. And I've been looking all over the whole basic library, but I can't find it.
But, I'll try the mesh-tool. Thanks!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been testing out the mesh-tool to make a cushion. But, I must admit that my cushions looks like bricks 😉 Will you share your knowledge with me on how to make smooth-looking cushions, please ?
Dwight
Newcomer
You are having trouble because you have no patience for the attention it takes to make an organic form in Archicad. It IS excruciating, so be warned!

Also, now that i look at my pillows, they seem a little affected..... cartoonish. I would simplify them in the future - less like a pierogi.
What do they call pierogis in Norway? Probably have a recipe to fill them with pickled herring.

With all that said, here's how it is done. The objective is a tilted cushion, perhaps with a little corner slump, and not a cheap hotel pillow with no "give." Floppy, not stiff, eh?

You will make two meshes with the same perimeter. You must think about it as a plausible cushion shape as it mooshes down into the sofa.
One mesh goes up, One mesh goes down.
Start with the top mesh.
Use some lines offset from the perimeter as guides, but the process is to, one-by-one elevate nodes in 3D until you make the top mesh. The edge should roll over a little like a seam would. Of course, all ridges smooth, etc....
That much is obvious, but the TRICK is:

To DUPLICATE THIS MESH, and lower it by 3mm.

Make the bottom mesh. This is easy because the upper mesh tells you the nodes and their heights for the edges, and dish out the rest. In the 3D view.

In the material assignment, the top mesh gets a perforated material that is not completely opaque - this 'scrim' hides the bad job you did making the mesh.

You can also make the meshes as if the cushion was on a flat surface, save them as an object and use ArchiRotate to tilt them. This is more geometric but is much faster since cushion quadrants can be symmetric.

So, yes, it is a lot of work and you need to become a digital cushion artist.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
You know, you can create parametric organic forms too.
Dwight
Newcomer
So THAT's what you look like!

What page of the GDL Handbook would that be on?

Now, you ask me a LightWorks or Artlantis question.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmm - I'm afraid rendering is a complete mystery to me. It's amazing what the experts can produce.

And yes, the GDL Handbook does cover techniques for modelling organic forms.