Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Easy copying of parameters to new object?

Daniel Lindahl
Contributor
Has anyone here discovered an easy way to copy parameters into a new object without having to write them all out longhand? The scripts are easy, its just the parameters that are tedious.

The reason is I need to update some of my old doors and windows to incorporate the Graphisoft listing parameters. At first I tried to write the wanted listing parameters into the old object, but the schedules didn't recognize them.

I would be very grateful to anyone who can help.
cheers
Daniel
-------------------------------------
Daniel Lindahl Architecture
AC24 | Dell Inspiron 16+ | Windows 11
3 REPLIES 3
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Daniel,

Use the XML converter. Convert both objects to XML. Copy/paste the parameters into the new object. Convert the new object's XML back to GSM.

Another thing to consider, related to this, is sub typing. If you create an object that has parameters in common with several other objects, make it a subtype. Then, making the new objects be that subtype automatically makes the parameters appear in the new objects' parameter list.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Karl and thanks for askiing the question Daniel.

Now to investigate XML converters et al.

I have been strapping on our own office parameters to existing ac objects for custom scheduling. The door list is quite long and takes a while to do manually.
This might help.
Daniel Lindahl
Contributor
Karl,

Thanks for the tips!

I still haven't figured out where to find the XML converter, but never mind. (is that in AC or an external program?)

The subtypes did the trick for me. By way of thanks I am emailing you (at archiperspectives) a free copy of the door object I have now updated. Now I just hope Objects Online won't be as slow updating this item on their website as they have been at times in the past....

One other thing, I still try to do most of my objects and updates in AC-r8 so that users who are on old versions can still buy them. Is that excessive, and does that severely restrict the listing parameters as compared to r15 ?
cheers
Daniel
-------------------------------------
Daniel Lindahl Architecture
AC24 | Dell Inspiron 16+ | Windows 11