Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Forward Migration, Help Please?

JGoode
Advocate
Hello,

I have a scale bar object that needs to be forward migrated into AC21 from AC19 and then all variations need to be added to favourites in AC21. These will be two separate objects. All variations already exist in the AC19 favourites. There are too many variations for manually changing each object and there is too much room for error to the point that it just isn't practical. Firstly, is using the Forward Migration script the best way of doing this? and if so how do I use it correctly as I cannot seem to work it out from the graphisoft reference guide? Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

edit: This is what I have in my forward migration script and it isn't working. I don't understand.
actualGuid = FROM_GUID
if actualGuid = "27D27CB8-5923-458A-80FA-6A8EC6B78CFF-CD32FA39-611C-47A7-A038-153F79AB5332" then
actualGuid = "27D27CB8-5923-458A-80FA-6A8EC6B78CFF-ABCDACD1-CE3F-CA4F-9195-B15EB1DAFA5F"
endif
SETMIGRATIONGUID actualGuid

edit 2: The idea is that the template from 19 will be moved to 21 and then the objects within will transfer to the new version of the object.
ArchiCAD 23

Windows 10
7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly
Moderator
That is basically it.
There is more you can do if you want to read old parameters and set new ones.

But what you have should swap the old object with the new one.

However make sure you have the old GUID in the 'Migration' list - that is a different button to the 'Forward Migration' script. Do not have the new GUID in that list.

Also make sure you do not have the old object in you loaded libraries. If you do the swap will not happen.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
JGoode
Advocate
Barry wrote:
That is basically it.
However make sure you have the old GUID in the 'Migration' list - that is a different button to the 'Forward Migration' script. Do not have the new GUID in that list.
In which object do I have put the old GUID into the Migration list?
What is the best way of testing it?

Thanks very much.
ArchiCAD 23

Windows 10
Barry Kelly
Moderator
It get hard to answer when the post is in 2 places at once.

http://gdl.graphisoft.com/forums/topic/forward-migration

I think we have discovered there that your GUID is too long - you will know exactly what it is when you set the ID in the migration list.


The old GUID goes in the new object that has the migration script.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
JGoode
Advocate
Barry wrote:
It get hard to answer when the post is in 2 places at once.

http://gdl.graphisoft.com/forums/topic/forward-migration

I think we have discovered there that your GUID is too long - you will know exactly what it is when you set the ID in the migration list.


The old GUID goes in the new object that has the migration script.

Barry.
Thanks very much, got it working correctly. The only way I got it working was by getting the GUID directly from the Migration tab. The GUID pulled from the sub-type page didn't work at all and actually didn't have anything the same as the GUID from the Migration tab, very strange. Thanks again.
ArchiCAD 23

Windows 10
JGoode
Advocate
Barry wrote:
It get hard to answer when the post is in 2 places at once.

http://gdl.graphisoft.com/forums/topic/forward-migration

I think we have discovered there that your GUID is too long - you will know exactly what it is when you set the ID in the migration list.


The old GUID goes in the new object that has the migration script.

Barry.
A little more help is needed. How do I open a 19 project in 21 and have all of the objects switch over?
ArchiCAD 23

Windows 10
Barry Kelly
Moderator
JGoode wrote:
A little more help is needed. How do I open a 19 project in 21 and have all of the objects switch over?
They should swap over when you delete the 19 library and load the 21 library.
Make sure the old object is not in the 21 library or the embedded library or else it will simply stay as it is.
The new object of course needs to be in the 21 library.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
JGoode
Advocate
Barry wrote:
JGoode wrote:
A little more help is needed. How do I open a 19 project in 21 and have all of the objects switch over?
They should swap over when you delete the 19 library and load the 21 library.
Make sure the old object is not in the 21 library or the embedded library or else it will simply stay as it is.
The new object of course needs to be in the 21 library.

Barry.
Thanks for all the help, Barry. This was a bit of a silly question and I wasn't thinking properly
ArchiCAD 23

Windows 10

Start a new conversation!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!