Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

In Custom BIM Component, how to control surfaces associated with Object, in BIM Library.

amitchristian
Enthusiast

If I create an object from a SketchUp model, it brings in new surfaces in ArchiCAD. If I convert this object to Morph (to simplify some geometry) and save it again, the object retains the original surfaces from SketchUp only in the specific project file where it was created.

For example, three new surfaces are created (or imported) from SketchUp, and ArchiCAD automatically assigns them new index numbers, which are locked with the object.

amitchristian_1-1723111060455.png

amitchristian_2-1723111293553.png

When I export this object as a GSM and import it into another project, the surfaces show as missing because the new project hasn’t used index numbers 133, 134, and 135 yet. In another project where these index numbers are already used with different surfaces, the object will apply those different surfaces instead. TO retain same surface each time i have to copy this object from one contained file and paste to new project.

Whenever we create a new component in our office, we add it to our BIMcloud Library to ensure office-wide consistency in standards. However, when a new surface is used in a component, it always shows as missing when placed from the library (Cloud or Linked Libraries).

Is there a method to store new surfaces with the BIM object so that when it’s saved as GSM or stored in the Library, the surfaces don’t go missing?

Operating system used: Windows 10

5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly

The new surface attribute will copy from one file to another when you copy and paste, if that attribute does not exist in the file you are pasting to.

If it does exist, it will simply swap to that attribute - as you have discovered.

If you create and object that uses new attributes, they will not transfer when you simply place that object from a library.

You will have to use the Attribute Manager to transfer (import/export) attributes between files.

When you create your object, you can use Attribute Manager to export a file that contains the new attributes.

You can then import this file into any other file (overwrite by index number), or you can simply import and browse for the file that you created the object in (no need to actually export an attribute file if you save the file where you create the objects).

But be careful, you will need to create the objects in the same file (ideally your template) and be sure to save that file every time you create new objects and new attributes.

Otherwise you will find that you will be creating attribute that are different for new objects, but they will have the same attribute numbers as objects you have created before.

Archicad will just create an attribute with the next available index number, so if you don't keep saving them in one file, you will end up creating the same index number in another file for a completely different attribute.

Attribute management is a fine art.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Thanks Barry.

We have been following the method you explained and ensure that new attributes created in the main container are added to our blank template as well.

While we can manage new attributes when our in-house team creates new BIM components, we face challenges when importing content from online sources or tools like SketchUp. These imports often bring in new attributes that are not aligned with our office naming standards. To address this, we must first rename the attributes, and our only solution has been to reindex them to a new series (e.g., 900 series) that hasn't been used in any projects before uploading to our cloud library.

Additionally, before integrating any new component into existing projects, we need to ensure that the attributes from the container file are loaded as you suggested. This process can be quite labor-intensive, leaves great chance of human error, especially with multiple users working on large-scale projects simultaneously through teamwork using single source cloud library.

I wish there were a more straightforward approach to attribute management that could simplify this workflow.

Thank you for your guidance.

Dear Barry,

Thank you for your prompt responses to our queries.

The issue Amit raised is crucial. Given our context—managing over 40 projects, 300+ PLN files on BIMcloud, and 60 concurrent users—the complexity of "Attribute Management" is significant. The process of adding attributes to each PLN file daily using XML is both cumbersome and prone to errors.

While "Attribute management should be a fine art," I would prefer a more management-oriented approach rather than an artistic one. We need a streamlined and hassle-free solution from GS to address these challenges. Specifically, the system should resolve issues related to surface management and index numbering.

Additionally, it is impractical for our project team members to manually open container files and copy-paste new customized content objects as the project grows. Maintaining consistency across projects is better achieved through a teamwork library, where loading objects from the library should also include any new surface attributes and index numbering automatically.

Looking forward to a more efficient solution from GS.

@Hetal Mistry wrote:

Looking forward to a more efficient solution from GS.

There are items on the road map for a centralised attribute system where all files can be linked to the same central attribute file.

https://graphisoft.com/product-roadmap/centralized-attribute-management

But it is still a way off yet.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Thanks for the update Barry,

This centralized attribute system is exactly the kind of feature we've been waiting for—honestly, we needed this yesterday! I’m eager to see it rolled out soon in the near future version.

Setup info provided by author