BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Licensing
About all sorts of licenses, their management, Graphisoft ID, Graphisoft Store, License Manager Tool, etc.

Archicad files: Proff version to edu version

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,

I recently downloaded the professional trial version mistakenly and started designing in that, now however I have got the correct student version and am trying to transfer/open my work in the student version.

However its not allowing me...I understand they are different versions and so forth, but does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Erika Epstein
Booster
You could try exporting an IFC file and then bringing that into the student version.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Does the student version support IFC?
stefan
Expert
IFC is supported.

But it is more related to the trial version: it marks your files as to be only usable on your machine. You can not transfer them to other computers nor to another installation of ArchiCAD on the same machine (that would defeat the trial purpose).

I was once able to restore a student's file from the trial version, by plugging in the dongle so the trial became a functional version and I could save it as a regular file that could be transferred.

Not sure if this still works, as it would mean that offices might be able to work with more people while having only one license.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
stefan wrote:
I was once able to restore a student's file from the trial version, by plugging in the dongle so the trial became a functional version and I could save it as a regular file that could be transferred.

Not sure if this still works, as it would mean that offices might be able to work with more people while having only one license.
It seems GS is being a bit too restrictive with this.

Autodesk trial versions are fully functional and completely interoperable (AFAIK) with licensed copies for 30 days. Yes, this does make it possible to "cheat" by, for example, starting a new hire on the trial version, but you'll still need to buy a license before the time is up.

I suppose you could also use a trial copy for a temporary job (like grabbing a spare copy of Max to crank out extra renderings) but I don't see how this would really amount to any lost revenues.

It also seems that anyone that willing to cheat will use a cracked copy anyway.
Learn and get certified!