Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC12 curtain wall tool notes

R Muller
Enthusiast
I have been experimenting with the curtain wall tool. I am posting some of my observations here in the hopes that other ArchiCAD'ers will have additional observations, better ways to do things, etc.

1. Mullion frames are vertical and transom frames are horizontal by default. However, individual frames can be edited to be any type of frame. Thus, you can use the three frame types to have three different frame profiles that are easy to choose. I am using “boundary” to represent my biggest frame, “mullion” for the next largest, “transom” for the most common small frame.

2. Custom frame profiles all have the same name, so it’s harder to apply a specific custom profile in multiple locations if you have several custom profiles. I find that the eye-dropper tool does work to transfer attributes from one frame to another.

3. Boundary frames can be used anywhere on the interior of the grid, as well as on the boundary. They will always be centered on an interior grid line, even if they are set to be inside or outside the grid on the boundary.

4. Other types of frames can be used on the boundary, by selecting and modifying a boundary frame. They will keep the same “inside” or “outside” alignment you set in the system level settings. There appears to be no way to have some boundary frames centered while others are inside or outside.

5. An invisible frame can’t be selected in order to turn it back into some other type of frame. One way to get the frame back is to select another frame, then drag a copy to the location of the invisible frame.

6. The same trick doesn’t work for deleted panels. Unlike frames, panels can’t be dragged or copied. Once a panel is deleted, the only way I have found to get it back (other than “undo”) is to delete the frame between the missing panel and an adjacent panel, and then put the frame back by dragging a copy of some other frame.

7. If your curtain wall sits op top of a slab, and you need to put a door in the wall that extends to the slab, you need to be sure that the boundary frames are inside the grid. Otherwise, the bottom of the door won’t go down to the slab.
R Muller
AC 26 USA (20+ years on ArchiCAD)
MBP 64GB Apple M1 Max OS 12.1 Monterey
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable
Has anybody figured out how to reverse a door swing, so it hinges on the right rather than the left?
Under the Options for cw12, change the Opening Type to Side Hung Mirrored.
Anonymous
Not applicable
For anyone not interested in exporting or synchronizing the IFC model...

You can stop the window from 'super-sizing' by turning off the IFC 2x3 attributes in the tool settings dialogue in work environment...
Curtainwall-IFC2x3.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is what my dialog box looks like. There are no doors shown. What can I do to get them? There also aren't any junctions or accessories either. What has happened, and what can I do about it.
R Muller
Enthusiast
Are you sure you have the AC12 library loaded, not just the AC11 library or migration library? You need the full AC12 library for the doors.
R Muller
gkovacsp
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
fessel28 wrote:
This is what my dialog box looks like. There are no doors shown. What can I do to get them? There also aren't any junctions or accessories either. What has happened, and what can I do about it.
Basically, if you load the ArchiCAD Library 12, then you should have everything on the list.
(In case you opened a legacy project in AC12, then it will load the old Library - which doesn't have the CW GDL objects.)

What is your ArchiCAD's language version and build number?
Please post an image of your Library manager and ArchiCAD splash screen.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ha. Nevermind. I found out that my library for 12 didn't load properly. Thanks though. I now have doors!!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, I had started this project in 11 then transfered it over to 12, so I guess the library didn't open 12 for it was still, by default, running 11. Thanks.
R Muller
Enthusiast
Well, I tried to make a custom wall panel/ door and save it as a library part to use in my curtain wall, but it didn't work.

I followed the instructions in the help menu "Virtual Building : Parametric Objects : Custom Components", and saved a frameless door component as both a Custom Door Panel and a Custom CW Panel. I added them to my project library, loaded the library, but could not use them in the curtain wall.

When I try to load the custom panel or door while editing the curtain wall, I can see them in the library, but both are grayed out.

Is there something else I need to do that I am missing?
R Muller
Anonymous
Not applicable
Richard wrote:
For anyone not interested in exporting or synchronizing the IFC model...

You can stop the window from 'super-sizing' by turning off the IFC 2x3 attributes in the tool settings dialogue in work environment...

thx man
Anonymous
Not applicable
NeckoFromSarajevo wrote:
i have this kind of bug.
archicad 12 int

in curtain wall setings sometimes (mostly times) i have next problem

I have to big window of dialog. I cant resize it and i have to move 5 time to the right to see ok button
Same problem here.