BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Angled Staircase - Best Workflow

Anonymous
Not applicable
What is the best way to model an angled staircase please?

I.e. the flights are standard but the landing is at an angle (a variation of an L-shaped stair with a wedge shaped landing)
11 REPLIES 11
Barry Kelly
If your 'L' shaped stair object does not allow you to adjust the angle of the landing then you could either use separate stairs for each flight and add your own landing.
Or use the 'Create stair using selection' command (Design menu > Design Extras) where you draw a fill the shape of the staircase and a line for the walking path (and I think an arc for the landing walking path). That way you should end up with one complete stair in the shape you want.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your reply Barry.

I don't think the OTB L-shaped stair will allow me to change the angle of the landing, or if it does, I don't know how!

Attached is what I had created from the 'create stair using selection' tool before your reply, together with the fill/lines that it was generated from.

Can I adapt the staircase after it has been created?

For the other option, with two stairs and a slab as a landing, how do I change the riser numbers please? What impact does it have on railings?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Fill on floor plan (didn't realise you can only add one attachment)
Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 08.49.13.png
Barry Kelly
I have never had much success with the old stair tool (especially the create from selection) except for quite simple stairs.

To avoid the steps in the landing you will want to use a slight curve for the path (see attached image).
It may not work still - you might have to adjust the positions of the curve starting point - I kept getting one step in the landing but don't have time to seriously test it sorry.

The shape of the stair can't be adjusted afterwards but you can choose to "edit" the stair (button in bottom left corner of stair settings dialogue), where you can change some of the parameters.

I don't believe the 'L' shaped stair can have a custom angled (I just had a quick look).
I am not very familiar with it as the company I work for has their own custom stair objects (sorry can't share them).

I would make this from pieces and then manually add railings.
It may be tricky to get them to all join correctly though.

This is a perfect example to do in version 21 - if you are thinking of upgrading.
Not that it will be easy there either but it can be manipulated to any shape and the railing can be associated to the stair so will adjust as you change the stair.

Barry.
angle_stair.jpg
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your reply Barry.

Others in the office are on A21, is it similar to Revit though where models aren't backwards compatible i.e. I couldn't create the stair in A21 and then continue with the rest of the model in A20?

I'll try the curve for the landing and playing around with the parameters with the two stairs and slab as a fallback.

Is there any more documentation about the 'stair using selection' tool? I'd like to know how it is generated from the selection so that I can gain a better understanding.
Barry Kelly
It is a shame you don't have 21.
Took next to no time to create.

You can't save back the stairs to version 20 as they just disappear.
But you can convert them to a morph and save back to 20.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for rubbing salt in Barry!

If it is saved as a morph to get from A21 to A20, do you lose the riser annotation etc?

Previously in Revit if I used model in place for a stair that was the compromise
Barry Kelly
thompsonmp wrote:
Thanks for rubbing salt in Barry!
It is fun in 21!

I don't have anything set up properly but the railings associate to the stairs easily.

Yes when you convert to a morph you will lose all 2D annotation.
You can however copy the star and "Explode" it in plan.
Then you will have all the correct line work and annotation for the plan as well.

The more you can get it fight in 21 before back-saving the better.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Much better with the curve across the landing thank you Barry but do you have any idea why it's creating this rather than the example that you showed from A21?

Just that one pesky tread!
Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 10.30.01.png
Learn and get certified!