cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ArchiCAD 14 freezes up/crashes/slow

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is anybody else having crashes, freezes, slow action in ArchiCAD 14? the program acts like it is busy with something and I have to wait until it is ready when for example using the orbit tool. Orbit a bit, then it gets tired? and makes me wait.
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
could be twice the ram, before I even start doing anything
I see in your profile that you only have 2GB RAM. That is a bare minimum for 14 in my experience. It seems to work fine on my laptop with 4GB, but when I split it between Mac and Windows (with Parallels) it get kinda flaky. (I do most of my work on my MacPro with 20GB.)
Anonymous
Not applicable
rvlog wrote:
I have been using ArchiCAD since the days of AC7. In my experience, 7, 8 and 9 were the last really stable versions, of which 9 was, IMHO the best AC so far.
I assume you mean 7 & 9. AC8.0 was a disaster.
I am now working in AC12 and I have had to forego the new enhancements in AC14 as a result, but at least I can work longer that 10 minutes without AC crashing on me. I'm just beginning to wonder if I should not cancel that maintenance agreement.... at least until there is a stable version available.????
AC10, 11, 12, 13 and 14 have all run fast and stable for me. I have upgraded my computers along the way though. My 2006 MacBook Pro started to get too slow (in AC10 as I recall) after about a year and a half. But the MacPro I bought in early 2008 is still going strong and my one year old MacBook Pro works fine for all but the largest projects.
Anonymous
Not applicable
JaredBanks wrote:
So far, other than the screen turning black for a split second when I'm regenerating in 3D, I'm having smooth running on v14.
I am having the same symptoms here and for me is a little bit annoying. Sometimes the screen turns black in 3d window and stays like that unless i click something or zoom.
I`v checked and its happening with the internal engine too, so i think it has nothing to do with Opengl
Do you think they will correct these minor problems in the next releases?
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
@Coty82

The 3D window may go black when you hit ESC several times quickly and therefore you cancel the rebuild operation. Is this what you experience?
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
Karl Barker
Contributor
I get the same thing.
It happens when I am zooming in.
The re-build may be taking too long on my older iMac.
Am awaiting capex approval for nice new i7 iMacs next week.
Hopefully that will alleviate the issue.
Cheers,
Karl Barker.

27" iMac 3.6 Ghz Intel Core i9
32 Gig Ram
Mac OSX 10.14.6
AC 5.5 - AC22 (NZE)
Anonymous
Not applicable
gkmethy:

Yes that is what`s happening. I press Esc several times because i want to exit the Orbit function.
But i do the same thing in Archicad 13 and it doesn`t happend like this
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes It's slow but I rarely have a crash Sometimes a spinning wheel and a right click "application not responding" which I have learnt to ignore Large complex landscapes are very slow and like everyone wish for the new box with quad i7 processors and a shit load of ram and oh to have 64bit Just more coffee breaks and remember where we all were 10 years ago and for some of us who are really old when 64k was the ram standard Its really fast by comparison PS Autodesk isn't any better and as far as Mac is concerned You have to run an additional OS etc so what the .....! The clients have become too impatient Try hand drawing and see how long it takes.
Anonymous
Not applicable
In my office we're all experiencing the screen going black while in 3D. It doesn't crash the program but its very annoying. We have new and powerful Mac computers that in AC13 could handle 3D no problem.

I also hear my computer running overtime with the fan when I'm in 3D now. It never did that in AC13. I imagine this is because the new AC14 somehow accesses the RAM or hard drive in a new manner. In any event, its terrifically annoying as the end result doesn't produce a superior 3D experience. Any fix I can do on my end with how my computer allocates RAM or something??
Barry Kelly
What video card do you have.
Other machine specs may help as well.
Best to add to you profile signature.

Have you checked you video card drivers?
Do you have the latest version.
I had problems with 14 and had to install a slightly older driver that solved it.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
this thread looks like the best one to have a moan about ArchiCAD 14;

It is nearly December and we are still not using 14 throughout the office due its basic problems not yet being solved, some of the problems we are still having are things like;

selection marquis disappears at random. (a common problem when a new version is launched).
3d window can only be viewed in primary monitor not second monitor.
work environment is unstable and does not retain settings.
stretchy guide line disappears.
marquis tool disappears from the toolbox, we have to stretch the toolbox slightly for is to re-appear.
the way section and elevation markers switch the way drawing numbers and references are read.
teamwork will only load a certain number of sub-folders within library manager.
there are others, but we wait look forward to the next hotfix!!

Although these items seem minor, they are fundamental to the operation of the program, some of these items seem to resurrect themselves every time a new version is launched, it would be nice if Graphisoft could just concentrate on one version and then simply get it working 100%

Yes, we may be moaning, but it causes a lot of frustration and friction within an office environment when you are trying to produce planning drawings, working drawings etc. to a fixed fee and design program.