Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Brisbane Floods

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Thanks to the members who have expressed concern and sent wishes regarding the Brisbane Flood.

I'm doing fine as I live outside the flood zone. However, our office is located
next to the Brisbane River and is directly in the path of the flood.

Whilst we have had plenty of warning and none of the chaos that was experienced in Toowoomba (a city upstream), there is no stopping the water now. Even the Wivenhoe Dam can't hold it. Reports are there is two times the amount of water in the Sydney Harbour headed our way. And we have king tides pushing upstream.

So last night and most of this morning was spent moving all computers, servers, paperwork, furniture, everything up one level. Water is filling our street and if our sandbags don't hold, will fill our office in the next big high tide (due at 4am AEST). And we're lucky compared to some.

Depending on where you're reading this from, you can see a lot more in the coming days at:

www.couriermail.com.au
www.abc.net.au/emergency/flood/
twitter.com/#qldfloods

Even Rugby League's greatest stadium is under.

Strangest part about it is that it's sunny, calm, no inland tsunami, no shaking earth, it's just all very tranquil.

Will be an interesting few days and I hope it's not as bad as the 1974 floods that reached 5.45m.

Cheers,
Link.
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Glad to hear you're OK. I hope all is back to normal soon.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hope all turns out as well as can be expected for you, and everyone else over there. It sounds horrific. Meanwhile over here, aftershocks continue to hit Christchurch after last year's earthquake. What's up with our planet?

Ironically, a friend of mine has just moved over to Brisbane - he got sick of the incessant rain we had here last winter - but thankfully is out of the danger area.

With regard to Suncorp Stadium - as a Wellington Phoenix fan I would be happy to have the match played here in Hamilton, as a Brisbane home game

Best wishes
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Cheers Link, many thanks for the links.
Pity you can't send some of that water over to us.
Keep safe.
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link
Did the sandbags hold out? Hope all is -relatively- ok. What does the expected 5.5m high tide relate to at your street level?
As Rod said we only have bushfires to worry about over here in WA - most of which are started intentionally. As if natural disasters are not enough..

By null at 2011-01-13

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Fortunately the flood waters did not rise as high as expected. In fact it was about a metre lower, so our office was left untouched. What a relief.

Having said that, the whole area is a disaster zone. Here is some footage taken in our street as the water recedes. The smell and mess is unimaginable, which is why people look like they are walking around dazed and confused. So much damage to buildings, infrastructure and the environment.

There are plenty of pics available. They give a good idea of the height of the water, but the real damage lies below.

Long road ahead for many people who are in desperate need of help.

Thanks everyone for your concern.

Cheers,
Link.
CPA-Office.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Glad to hear you've got off relatively lightly. A friend of mine who lives in Brisbane that I was not able to get in touch with turns out to be in London at the moment. Not sure what he's coming back to.

Screenshot from footage link, above. Someone making lemonade when they get lemons?
Picture 1.jpg
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Funny - didn't notice that. Although the water is pretty toxic and I'm not sure I'd want to go in for a dip.

Anyway, back to work now, powers on, phones will be back on by COB. Lots of mud and junk around the streets. There's a good before and after demo at:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/infographics/qld-floods/beforeafter.htm.

It looks like they've copied ArchiCAD's Trace Reference Slider too!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link - the pictures say it all such a terrible mess out there. Hope that it all clears up for you and thank God that your family are all fine.

The mess looks terrible the damage must be horrific to all the buildings !!

Good that your ok - keep in touch.

Myles.