Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Building a raised Deck

Anonymous
Not applicable
All;
I need to build a raised deck. Please see attache screenshot of the ACAD model and the detail sketch of what the deck will be built like. Can anyone give me a hint on how to best build this?

Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 9.28.25 AM copy.jpg
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Attached is the deck detail.
My Ideas - 6.jpg
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Marc:

Part of the answer is what is to be modeled (3D) and what is to be added for documentation (2D). Some users would model almost everything in your detail (except the flashing), I use a more hybrid approach, modeling most elements but adding some 2D detail for construction documents, see attached image. As part of my template I have a number of Composite Slabs for typical construction elements (like the deck shown, also for typical 2x framing construction) so the model reflects the construction.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David;
Thx for your reply. I would like to model everything.
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Marc:

If that is the route you want to take (not my approach), then:
Decking: 3/4" or 1" thick Slab, depending on decking material
2x Framing: Complex Profile Beams
Flashing: Complex Profile Beam
Hanger: There is a Cadimage Library here on the bimcomponents.com web site that has some joist hangers, or a simpler one could be made from the Morph Tool
Exterior Wall: some users have made Complex Profile Walls with the sill and top plates as part of the wall

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thx David;
I will try that approach and report back with the results 😉

Marc
David Maudlin
Rockstar
marckleinmann wrote:
I will try that approach and report back with the results 😉
Please do, it is an interesting issue: time for modeling vs. time for drafting.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi I am doing something very similar with a deck and gable porch type roof so would like to see what you come up with. I will model all too as I want to build it myself and also see how various options look against the existing house. We have very specific building codes for decks in NZ and want to incorporate this into the design. Luckily as the deck is no higher than 1.5 metres off the ground and is under 20 sam I dont need a permit, but it still must be built to code.