Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Curving Roof Pivot Line

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I am modelling a building with a curved exterior walls and need to put a mono pitched roof on. Ideally I would like to curve the roof pivot line to the curved exterior wall but don't think archicad will allow this. Is there a way of creating a similar effect?

Thanks

Curves roof 1.jpg
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for all your help I shall try the segment approach...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight, your suggestion worked thanks.

Now for another problem. I now want the roof line to slope (please see illustration). Has anyone got any ideas how I can do this?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can you trim to mesh or do you have to use the Solid Element Options?
Dwight
Newcomer
You can get into a hellish attempt to rotate the pivot line a little to tilt the roof parts, multiply/rotate and then elevate each part in sequence.

You can.

But now you need to look at other ways to do this.

You might look at a four node mesh if it doesn't need to be accurate [or have thickness] - then convert to roof using "Create Roofs From Mesh" tool as found by downloading the "Goodie" from Graphisoft's website - look under "Archicad "HELP" for goodies link. Altho my test didn't work so well.
040.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
novice wrote:
Can you trim to mesh or do you have to use the Solid Element Options?
I have not found a "Trim to iMesh" command.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks again Dwight, I've already downloaded the Create Roof from Mesh tool, I shall give it a go now
Dwight
Newcomer
BTW: "iMesh" is only on Mac.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Cheers Dwight, it has worked
Dwight
Newcomer
always post results
Dwight Atkinson
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
novice wrote:
Now for another problem. I now want the roof line to slope (please see illustration). Has anyone got any ideas how I can do this?
You can make this roof as a single object quite easily with OBJECTiVE. Referring to the attached image:
  • 1) You can place an object which is either a uniform or custom profile where the roof is required, and use OBJECTiVE's Bend and Offset tools to shape it to the required curve and rise.
    2) The finished object provides detailed control over its entire geometry including the roof width/depth, pitch, curvature, overall rise, and offsets at the ends.
    3) The finished result - a single, malleable object that took only moments to place.
For more information, take a look at http://www.encina.co.uk/objective.html
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems