Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Different roof-thickness, but same roof - Possible?

Kamelite
Advocate
Like the subject says, is it a function that does that for you? What I seek is this: When I'm working with roofs, say, a roof With a gable, I define the roof thickness as, for instance, 400mm. But I dont want the thickness to be more than 100 mm for the eaves overhang.

The way I solve this today is to have double set of the roof, one that ends somewhere in the middle of the outter wall, that has 400mm thickness, and one that includes eaves overhang, that is 100mm thick, and lies one cm above the thick roof. Is there a smoother way of solving this issue?

If someone from Graphisoft reads this 🙂 :
Would it be technically possible to add this function to Archicad, for instance, have an option, in the Roof Default Settings, under Multi-Plane Geometry, perhaps a check-box that gives you an option to have a different thickness to the eaves overhang, and, if checked, lets the user enter the value?

.Thag
Windows 10, Archicad 27
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable
My typical practice on pitched roofs has always been to model the structural thickness within the exterior walls and apply a second roof element for the sheathing and finish roof material which extends to the fascias and rakes (ie the eaves overhangs). I then model the eaves separately as these are (in my experience) the same depth as the interior structure.

Many projects I have worked on involve complex cornices, soffits, fascias, entablatures, rakes, etc so in these cases the roof tool is wholly inadequate anyway. But even on simpler roofs I find this approach to be most effective if only because it has become a standard practice.

If you really want to model the roof pitch with a single element (sort of) you could use a secondary roof as a solid operator to trim the eaves to the desired depth/thickness.

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!