Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Drawing Walls Fast

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello fellow ArchiCADists I was wondering if anyone here could or has posted a You Tube video on how to draw walls fast with ArchiCAD?

I saw this Reviteer shred thru a model at lightening speed, his video is called "Revit From Scratch" Please take a look and see if any of you can shred thru a similar size residential model in ArchiCAD and post it on You Tube.

I was particularly impressed with the drawing walls and the witness line temp dimension when placing openings as well.

Is it time for us to get our productivity going faster and keep the ArchiCADians from departing to the Reviteer camp?

If so can we please have a witness line temp dimension system or the like to speed up our model building?
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable
The problems produced by the magic wanding of walls around fills not only results in extra walls needing to be deleted but also the walls do not join correctly and also you are driving blind with no temporary dimension indicators to show that the walls and fills are in the right position.

Sorry to say Graphisoft way too many clicks for me and too much editing, you could fix this up to make us even more productive. The wall tool should be able to automatically distinguish between internal and external walls as well.

The magic wand tool should be able to be controlled more as to wrapping around a fill and just producing a wall on one side of a fill.

This is my biggest gripe with ArchiCAD namely drawing walls is too long winded apart from that I don't have any major gripes and it is still way better than Revit overall for me.
Dwight
Newcomer
Set your wall to centerline placement and see what happens.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
No worries Dwight will do and thanks for your help and suggestions.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I had a chance to test the "Dwight trick of the trade" with the right settings and I am impressed at how fast this method really is when you know how it's done properly. Thanks Dwight. I learnt how to draw walls in ArchiCAD at technical school and from a training DVD, it had some good tricks in it but nothing like this. Thanks again.
Dwight
Newcomer
Swell.

Dwight

"On twenty-four hour duty and committed to total performance inside Alpha Launch Control at Maelstrom Air Force Base,
near Hilger, Montana, SIR!!”
Dwight Atkinson
Hmooslechner
Rockstar
Just for the fun...

its in upload now for a Hour or so..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieuVVPudFdo&feature=youtu.be
AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
Dwight
Newcomer
Don't forget that for fast draw in Archicad you need to include the Archicad "six gun" object.
Dwight Atkinson
Hmooslechner
Rockstar
You mention the red and green spots in my Vid.. these are the Laserpointers of my pacemaker.. beware!
AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
mthd
Ace

This was my post from nearly a decade ago. I’m not sure if this post is still active ?

I last used Archicad in 2014, that was my last job after retiring from Architectural work.

I am thinking of coming out of retirement now and I am still very much sold on Archicad.

So much so that I kept my subscription going right up to AC24.

Are there any improvements with the drawing and placing of walls with interactive dimensions in AC 25 or 26 ?

I am thinking of renewing my subscription ? 

Sometimes small things improve in Archicad without it being advertised and that’s why I am asking about this from experienced users who may have noticed some slight improvements ?

I will test it out with AC24 but if anything is better in the latest version please tell me.

Thank you experienced users of Archicad.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

@mthd wrote:

Are there any improvements with the drawing and placing of walls with interactive dimensions in AC 25 or 26 ?

If you are referring to the Revit style amend a dimension and the wall moves method, then no, there is nothing quite like this in Archicad.

We have the 'Tracker' as we always have done.

Type the info into the tracker and the wall will draw or move to where you want it to go.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11