Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How can I Import on AC a dwg file in 3d?

Anonymous
Not applicable
If I have a 3d model building dwg file, and I want to import from AC, is the same process, to opened, just drag it? or I need to open from library object? but if I need to edit walls, and slabs. any idea. I´m new on this field.
a 3d site, whats the correct process.?

thanks
1 REPLY 1
Karl Ottenstein
David wrote:
If I have a 3d model building dwg file, and I want to import from AC, is the same process, to opened, just drag it? or I need to open from library object? but if I need to edit walls, and slabs. any idea. I´m new on this field.
a 3d site, whats the correct process.?
Hi David,

To get any 3D information INTO ArchiCAD, other than IFC, it must be brought in as a (GDL) object - or be processed by a GS or 3rd party add-on. File, GDL Objects, Open Object ... and set type to look for to dwg. It will be a non-editable mass.

If you drag, merge or hotlink a dwg into AC, only the 2D information comes in - but it will be editable lines, text, etc.

If you have a 3D site, then Cigraph's ArchiForma can convert that into an editable terrain.

Or, you can just load it as an object/mass if it looks OK and requires no editing.

If you have SketchUp, you can load the 3D DWG terrain and it will go into SketchUp as an editable mass that you can manipulate and then save as 3DS and bring the manipulated result into AC.

If the DWG has walls and slabs, your only option is to work with it in another program. AC will just bring it in as a single object. Using a separate program to edit (AutoCAD itself, SketchUp, C4D, etc.) you can decide which pieces to bring into AC as individual objects.

You'll still never have true ArchiCAD walls and slabs, and so your sections involving imported walls (now GDL masses) and real AC walls (etc) will not clean up properly.

HTH,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB