Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to draw existing historical/listed buildings?

Anonymous
Not applicable
We are having a little difficulty drawings historical buildings like listed buildings and churches etc. Obvious these buildings contain complex mouldings, unusual arched windows, decorative moulded stone arches etc.

How can these be best done in ArchiCAD? Does anyone else do this kind of work as 3d models or is it generally better to forget the 3d bit when doing these kinds of buildings and stick to 2d only?

Thanks for any help

Nats
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
Phew thats an amazing model. Id be happy if I could do one of those window moundings!
Anonymous
Not applicable
nats wrote:
...Is there anyone here who can explain exactly how they would construct such a brick building in the posting above for example, in simple steps, so that the walls, windows and stone surround all appear correctly in section and elevation and still form a 3d model rather than cheating by doing them as 2d items afterwards on sections etc. And how would you construct a wall with stone headers and cills to windows and a contrasting brick plinth for example. Do you build all different walls separately?...
Nats,
In my opinion you should model everything...the 2.5D methods are, just as, or more laborious...and you don't get a buidling that works in section elevation and perspective.

My solution for this kind of work involves using ArchiCAD and Archiforma. ArchiCAD has quite a few parametric objects that work for many details, but for the trickier details I use ArchiForma. ArchiForma, by CiGraph, will allow you to do just about anything you need...its very intuitive and the parts you create remain editable unlike details modeled and saved as GDL objects.

The new V10 profile function mentioned by Matthew seems to have some promise. I'm just now migrating to V10 and will look at how I might incorporate this into my current process. I'm pretty sure, however, that this new function still will not handle all the detail required for historic modeling...you'll still need something like ArchiForma to do detailed/beveled rustication, voussoirs, misc brackets, etc.,etc.,etc.

Bottomline: My suggestion is to learn and use ArchiForma. I'll attach a couple of images showing some of the detail I do with this Add-on.

HTH,
Dan K
HV5946_AT.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nats,
Here's another project detailed with ArchiForma.

Dan K
HJC2000_AT.jpg
Rakela Raul
Participant
follow Dan's procedure and u will be fine !! thx Dan again
Rakela,
It sounds more cumbersome than it really is...below is the process I used to create the window surrounds in the image I posted previously...so here goes:

1. Generate a 3d projection of the desired window and copy the line work out.

2. Paste the linework down on the floor plan and use ArchiCAD's polyline tool to trace the window outline...be sure and add extra nodes along the arc part (I usually add at least 8-12 evenly spaced nodes along the arc.)

3. Draw the desired profile using archicad's fill tool...select the polyline and the fill and use ArchiForma's "Tube-Sweep" tool to loft the profile around your polyline.

4. Place a section elevation marker at the top of your new profile (note: your profile is laying flat and you will be viewing an elevation view of the top of it.)

5. Go to the floor plan view of the window and draw a polyline or arc of the curved portion of the wall where the window is...copy the arc and paste it back into your elevation view.

6. Line the pasted arc up with the profile...select the profile and graphically stretch the notes to meet the curev of the pasted arc.

7. When you're finished editing the nodes, go back to the floorplan and rotate the profile up using ArchiForma's "Rotate" tool.

8.You're done...after you do this a few times it becomes pretty easy and quick to do...Good Luck!
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16