BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Magic wand error

Anonymous
Not applicable
When the Graphisoft will solve annoying error when using magic wand to remove/add/or create fills or similar elements in 2d. When I'm trying to leave in this case, black flower, magic wand is not working in any area. ''Region not found at this area point'' is so annoying, because I have area, that is closed. Why they created magic wand if its not working properly?
10 REPLIES 10
Barry Kelly
milanche wrote:
You will se that I can fill 3 fields (petals), but other (0ne petal and 4 fields), Magic wand is showing me error about ,no region found. This issue is common when I'm working with curves. Also, when I have for example one ring (circle inside other circle), and trying to fill space between 2 circles, also the same issue...
I can confirm that the magic wand results can be a little inconsistent.
I just tried again in version 20 and 2 petals 'filled' OK but the other 2 would not.
If I then click on the curve of one of those that didn't work then it would fill but clicking on the curve of the last actually filled the diagonally opposite petal again (using a 50% fill so you can see when they overlap).

However splitting all the curves at the centre point fixed the issue.
The exact reason for this I am not sure - it may be a bug.
Please feel free to report this to your local Graphisoft distributor if you feel this is an issue that needs looking into.

As for trying to fill a void between 2 non-intersecting shapes (like a doughnut) - Archicad has never been able to do this.
It will fill the entire larger shape, then you must select that fill and using the subtract option in the pet palette you can magic wand the smaller inner shape to remove it.

As far as I understand the logic the magic wand (when flooding an area) will look for a bounding perimeter and if there is anything intersecting that boundary it will use that as an amended boundary. That is why it does not work for the doughnut situation because the inner shape does not intersect with the larger perimeter and it seems it will only follow one perimeter.

When clicking on the perimeter lines (rather than flooding) it will follow that line until it reaches the endpoint and then will follow any other joining line. That is why when there is 3 or more lines all sharing the same endpoint Archicad will not know which line to follow so will result in an 'incorrect' fill.

In Karl's defence I think he was assuming you were trying to magic wand on and exploded image file or a PDF with a bad resolution.
Because of the pixilation (non-continuous lines) the magic wand would just not work.
I don't think he realised that you had taken a screen shot of the line work in Archicad - normally the screenshots are of a better quality than the one in your original post (as per the one in your later post).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!