Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Measurement of the 3d object

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear Sirs,

I would not like to seem fatuous but an expression: “Time dictates its demands” convinces me of its truth every day.

Azerbaijan presently undergoes economic boom. In such conditions I am doomed to keep abreast of modern requirements.

To my regret, I experience some difficulties in mastering CAD applications. There are a few reasons. For example, one of them, I am afraid, that the help and tutorials of ArchiCAD do not cover all my inquiries on this program and I am forced to seek assistance outside.

I hope that ArchiCAD forum will serve as a reliable support in my learning this program.

Many thanks for all who kindly replied for my first message on Skylight settings.
I really appreciate your involvement.

Please, allow me to express my opinion on answers received.

Indeed, skylights automatically orientate themselves with the slope of the roof. But the matter is in the mirroring of skylights! Maybe, the rub is that when this option is checked, under putting one skylight on one slope of the roof another one is simultaneously mirrored on the opposite slope?

Though, as Matthew Lohden justly mentioned "if it doesn't do something useful, don't use it."

I have another question concerning taking measurements of objects.

As far as I could advance in ArchiCad learning, it is not possible to measure objects in the overall manner either in the 2d window or the 3d one. For example, under defining a length of a sloped beam in the roof construction, the 2d window does not reflect the actual size of this beam, but the 3d window simply does not afford such an opportunity. To overcome this obstacle I normally transfer an ArchiCAD model into AutoCAD and proceed with it there. I must admit that this practice does not satisfy me, as I would prefer working only in one environment-ArchiCAD. So, a logical question – is there a tool or a gadget in ArchiCAD for this purpose?

Please, for full notion refer to an attachment that is a rendered picture of an ArchiCAD scene. I need all possible dimensions of this object. How can I get it via ArchiCAD?

By the way, how can I render the ArchiCAD scene through V-Ray? Must I install V-Ray as Add-On?

Awaiting your soonest response.

Best regards,

Enam.

Restaurant.jpg
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
It is not possible to render with Vray under AC. You have to expost the model to 3DSMax.

Sloped beam can be measured by making a section parralel to it and vieweing it in Section-Elevation window.
Anonymous
Not applicable
if you want dimensions on your drawings, use the dimensioning tool (sorry if i'm stating the obvious here)
don't know what version of archicad you are using so for v10 use the measuting tool : keyboard shortcut is m, click on one point of the element you wish to measure and hover over the end point to see its length in the tracker dialog box.
so in v9, use a line or a polyline, start drawing over the element you wish to measure and look at the coordinates box to see the length of the line before placing it's second point
hope this helps
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, Christina

It is really kind of you to respond. Thanks!

Admittedly, I am afraid that you missed one core point. The way you suggest as a key to the problem affords barely the possibility of taking measurements in one 2d plane (view from above). It is ideal for defining, for example, the length of the wall. But what about the sloped beam in the roof? It is seen in the 2d window as a vertical projection! You will not be able to get actual dimensions of this element in the 2d window!

So, any other ideas?

Best regards.

Enam
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
The best way to measure is still by using the user origin IMHO. Much better than the measure tool. If the measure tool could add on the fly it may be a different story, but until then....

Simply hold down Alt+Shift and hover over a node until the user origin relocates, then let go, no clicking needed. Next, hover your cursor over the node to be measured to and read your coordinates in the coordinate box, includingthe Z coordinate in the 3D window. Don't forget you can use X,Y,R,A, and Z to copy (Ctrl+C) these coordiantes for future input, and it makes no difference whatesoever if you leave your origin in a different location than the project origin, but if you really want it back you can double click the User Origin button in your coordinate bar.

These are all PC shorcuts, you should be able to figure them out if you're on a mac - I think it's the option key you'll need.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
CAD wrote:
It is seen in the 2d window as a vertical projection! You will not be able to get actual dimensions of this element in the 2d window!
The 2D window you refer to I assume is the plan view. There are other 2D views of the model.

It appears that you haven't used the section tool yet (apologies if I am mistaken). This allows you to create vertical 2D views of the model. If you place your section parallel to the rafter you can measure its length in that view.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
CAD wrote:
It is seen in the 2d window as a vertical projection! You will not be able to get actual dimensions of this element in the 2d window!
The 2D window you refer to I assume is the plan view. There are other 2D views of the model.

It appears that you haven't used the section tool yet (apologies if I am mistaken). This allows you to create vertical 2D views of the model. If you place your section parallel to the rafter you can measure its length in that view.
indeed, i was just about to say the same. using the line you can measure on plan and section/elevation view. using the measure tool you can also measure in te 3d window (hurray for that by the way)
in addition you can always view an element's properties (wall, beam, column, slab, object, etcetc) by going to the top menu to window/palettes/ element information... there amongst other things you can view the size of an element.