cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

New Product - Archicad Residential Released!

archislave
Enthusiast
I can't believe no one has spotted this but a new product from Graphisoft has been released for the US market. Here is a link to the Cadwire.net press release: http://go.cadwire.net and http://graphisoftus.com/

The cadwire press release indicates that it will only be available for windows initially. As a Mac user this has me worried unless they are waiting for the Tiger Mac OSX 10.4 release.

I hope it will be available for Mac since a residential solution is what I need!
Archislave

archicad 26.0 US, M2 Macbook Air
62 REPLIES 62
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rick Said -
IMHO a well thought out templet system linked to a well developed database would be a better marketing package for GS to target the residential builder/designer. But first they need evolve the calculate functions into something much much better.
Also my opinion.
Residential work is already what I do with ArchiCAD. Coming from AutoCAD & Chief Architect back in AC 6.5. I would have loved to see a templet system linked to a well developed database. Also any builder "attempting" to use software would also desire this. Most Builders try the CAD for a little while and then after many wasted hours see there time is better spent elsewhere and the again hire out.
Karl Ottenstein
woodster wrote:
IYou can get a fairly good idea of what Options manager can do at http://www.gscne.com/softwaredemos/default.htm
Great demo. Worked more smoothly than I would have guessed from the initial descriptions. Cool that you can flip versions in all views.

It would be interesting to test this... as I wonder if SEOps 'break' if participating elements are part of a version, for example. Also would be interesting to see how the versioning copes with subsequent modifications of base and version elements.

Things like window and door schedules - based on window and door ID numbers assigned by Element ID Manager - would seem to be a potential problem if the intent is to use the version manager to flip back and forth between buildable versions of a home in a development. If the versioning is just for showing a client options before locking down the final version, then no big deal.

(It is curious that this is PC-only since on the surface, there doesn't seem to be anything about the interface that is PC-specific.)

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.8, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Erika Epstein
Booster
I saw this previewed at my local user group in January. Dominic Gallelo, Graphisoft's CEO, was present and spoke. My take on what he said:

Gallelo and Co. have correctly identified builders/developers as the ones who have the money, not architects. For Graphisoft to grow and make money, it must now follow/court the money. To this end, it sounds like they have been successfully wooing builder/developers even building virtual models for them to demonstarate/prove/hook them on the ArchiCAD solution.

These large offices are driving Graphisoft's next level of development. The needs of large offices that have switched to ArchiCAD have aready led to the ressurection of the HVAC Ductwork tool and the creation of the Option manager etc. Sarcasm aside, this will have many trickle-down benefits for the smaller firms [who helped get graphisoft to where it is now].

Gallelo, after stating that Graphisoft was committed to mac then sounded as though he rued every penny spent on maintaining the mac platform. From a bottom-line view, this is easy to understand as the money spent to do this is no longer justified by the number of mac users. However, it seems prudent to them... to continue to support the mac... hedging their bets... apple on the rise... who knows what the future will be.

Back to the Option manager. This was was developed as a point-of-sales tool for the builder/developers. Clearly this could be useful for others. As yet, it does not work with Teamwork. How it works with I/S features for costing and schedules? No idea. Keep in mind, though, that this is just the first pass. We have seen other iffy tools, including the calculate menu, go from undecipherable to its present state which all in all works quite nicely. Your comments here will help it grow.

Input to Graphisoft from users like Rick could be very beneficial although I wouldn't mention, Rick, that you are a solo-practioner. I got the impression that we don't matter much any more.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I have checked the option manager demo, finally there is some development in that area, although it is still a bit crude and clunky but I think GS is getting there. I am dreaming of OM implemented in the Navigator and Teamwork...
From the practical point of view I am not sure how much would keeping all options within one file affect the file size. At the moment we keep all alt's in separate files, so there is some data-redundancy for sure but keeping it all in one could cause massive slowdowns (especially when the project site has 10+ hectares) unless they have already worked that out.

Anyway, I quite like this, I believe a preliminary solution for the tricky area of issues/options etc.
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
for whatever reason, i cannot view the online demo,( maybe because i run firefox, and not IE?) anyways, is this an estimating add on software? has anyone talked of a pricerange?
Karl Ottenstein
keithg wrote:
for whatever reason, i cannot view the online demo,( maybe because i run firefox, and not IE?) anyways, is this an estimating add on software? has anyone talked of a pricerange?
Try downloading from the link for 'offline'. You'll get an sit file to uncompress... and can then view the QuickTime MOV directly.

I was able to view the demo easily when I posted earlier in this thread. Now I cannot, due to a Shockwave error ... but the offline method is fine. (They should have used zip for Windows users though...and Mac users can do zip also for that matter.)

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.8, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is my fisrt reply to a post. I recently bought Archicad 8.1. I am also a user of Chief Architect 9.5. I must say I am impressed with Archicads flexibility but I am disappointed with the Cross sections produced in Archicad. No cross boxes for roof framing, no wall framing in cross sections. As an Australian user I want to find out more about Archicad Residential. Please tell me where I can download a demo.

Regards,

Manuel.
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I just wonder why you haven't contacted GS Australia already. BTW I do not believe there is Archicad Residential in AU, I think it has been released for US market only. Anyway, this is GS Australia website:
www.graphisoft.com.au
ask them for more info...
Anonymous
Not applicable
I do residential work mainly and bought Archicad to help. If I want to import a product from the U.S. to help me as I did with Chief Architect to do my quantity surveying, estimating as well as my documentation I have every reason to ask for it, lets face it we all paid big bucks for the software. By all means we have the right to use this product. I have not seen any thing written where we should not ask. Besides who wants to buy
3 add on products instead of 1 that does the lot ?

regards,

Manuel.
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Manuel,

as I said, give them a buzz and talk to them...

a bit off the topic: it's good to have a version of AC you are currently using under your signature for better identifying your problems/questions.