Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Rafters with Decorative ends

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anyone have a good process in drawing a "gazebo" roof framing for lack of better words? The plan shows a pyramid roof at 10:12 on all sides, 9' square. The model will show the open rafter ceiling, with decorative ends to the rafters.

It seemed simple in theory but it's becoming more difficult to do, or figure out rather.

I thought to make a custom profile and extrude the thickness of the rafter, but I cannot modify that profile to stretch it for the corners that are deeper and take....I will just post a photo of what I am doing.

What's missing in the photo is the decorative rafters.

Thanks!

and on you Mr. Larrew for taking a vacation!

Gazebo.jpg
10 REPLIES 10
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
JLKilgore wrote:
Anyone have a good process in drawing a "gazebo" roof framing for lack of better words? I thought to make a custom profile and extrude the thickness of the rafter, but I cannot modify that profile to stretch it for the corners that are deeper and take....I will just post a photo of what I am doing.
This is easy with OBJECTiVE. Following the attached image:
  • 1. Draw the shape of your rafter using a fill or slab and use OBJECTiVE's profiling tool to make an elevation profile object from it.
    2. Use 'OBJECTIVE/Tools/Rotate' to incline it to the pitch of your roof and multiply it at whatever rafter crs you require.
    3. Use 'OBJECTiVE/Tools/Split' to cut the rafters to the hip
    4. The finished result in 3D.

Rafter.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Erich
Booster
JLKilgore,

You may also want to check out Jame Murray's On Land site

http://www.onland.info/

He offers a few of his objects made for his office for free to the general unwashed masses which are us.

Of interest for you may be his Rafters Decorative JM 9a object.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Jere
Expert
Have you tried making them all the same and then just using the adjacent roofs to SEO the ends of the rafters?
ArchiCAD 26; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 64GB RAM, GeForce GTX 3060
Jere
Expert
I just tried it and it worked great. However, you have to SEO twice, once with upwards extrusion and once with downwards extrusion to get the rafters to clean up properly.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, I will try that next time.

I was pressed for time and someone breathing down my neck, I had to fudge it and DRAFT it, UGGH
Thomas Holm
Booster
JLKilgore wrote:
I was pressed for time and someone breathing down my neck, I had to fudge it and DRAFT it, UGGH
I feel your pain
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel your pain

Nature of the business. Also, just got thrown into a project at the last 3 days of the deadline because the team didnt manage their time better.

Like I know whats going on with this big building and no direction....sigh, I shoulda went to law school.
Jere
Expert
I also feel your pain.

$4M project. One week left until deadline. I'm asked "can you write the specifications for this project?"

ah...what?
Thomas Holm
Booster
JLKilgore wrote:
....sigh, I shoulda went to law school.
I sort of recognize that feeling... More money there. But I'm too old now
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1