cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. License Manager Tool update is required on Windows. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Roof Shape

MitchDes
Contributor
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me, I am fairly new to Archicad. How can I cut an opening in a complex roof without altering the shape of the roof (the way it pitches). I want to cut a section out of the middle of the roof for a room that is much smaller than the storey below, so I want the lower roof to butt up to the walls of this room on the next storey. When I click on the roof and cut the polygon shape out of the roof, the roof reforms to pitch off the cut out shape (as if there was nothing going in the middle - like a donut). I want it to keep the original shape, but just remove the unnecessary portion in the middle. Any advise appreciated.
Using ArchiCad Start 2020 On PC With Ryzen 5 5600 6 core, 16Gb Ram, 64bit Windows 11, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 32"; Lenovo Monitor; 1920 x 1080 Res
2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly
You seem to be on the right track - I am assuming you click on the roof and use the pet palette options to cut the hole.

This is fine but if you click on the pivot (pitching) line to activate the pet palette then you will get the 'doughnut' effect you mention.

If you click on the edge of the roof (the gutter) to activate the pet palette then you will just get a hole.

Clicking on the pivot line means you want to edit the form of the roof.
Clicking on the edge means you will just be affecting just the roof planes and not the form.

If your roof edge is exactly over the pivot line then you have a problem.
Give the roof a bit of an eave overhang (in the settings or info box), make your hole and then put the eaves back to zero.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
DGSketcher
Legend
Secondary option might be to use Solid Element Operations if you can't get the roof to form the right opening?
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)