Due to a scheduled maintenance, a maximum 20 minutes license delivery outage may be expected on July 6 2024 (Saturday) between 6PM to 8PM (CEST).
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Solid Element Operations

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am a new comer to this great operation. But my question is this.

When undertaking the process there are two options given, whether the 'target' inherits the attributes of the operator or uses (keeps) their own. After undertaking many 'subtractions' with the targets inheriting the attributes of the operators, I now require that the targets regain their own, original attributes.

I understand I may not have explained myself clearly, but I'm hoping some people will know what I'm talking about.
21 REPLIES 21
Karl Ottenstein
Thanks very much for trying to replicate, James ... and for noting the other problems (which I hope GS is taking note of).

Attached is a screenshot (OK, Dj! 🙂 ) and notes showing the problem I've seen where the target never keeps its own material.

Very strange.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl,

This may have no effect on your problem, but I notice that the right hand surface (in your image) of the operator is coplanar with the end of the target. In my experience this sort of thing can lead to problems. I can't imagine why it would mess with the materials though.
Karl Ottenstein
Matthew wrote:
This may have no effect on your problem, but I notice that the right hand surface (in your image) of the operator is coplanar with the end of the target. In my experience this sort of thing can lead to problems. I can't imagine why it would mess with the materials though.
Thanks, Matthew. I had thought of that and moved the operator outside of the volume of the beam (little to the right and a little bit down) to see if that made a difference ... although inconvenient compared to using the snap points. But, alas, no difference at all. In fact, all but the first row of images are from the tests done with that positioning. Sigh.

Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
LiHigh
Newcomer
I've inserted PLN(1) into PLN(2) as module, but all the SEO done on PLN(1) no longer have any effect.
Is this a bug or I've missed something?
Howard Phua

Win 10, Archicad 19 INT
Karl Ottenstein
LiHigh wrote:
I've inserted PLN(1) into PLN(2) as module, but all the SEO done on PLN(1) no longer have any effect.
Is this a bug or I've missed something?
I think it is a 'feature'. At present AFAIK, if you copy elements involved in SEOs, the elements are copied, but not the associated operations. [THIS IS NOT TRUE - see Matthews correction.] If you merged PLN1, then that is probably being treated as if it were a copy. I assume that hotlinking works though?

Let us know about the module hotlink vs merge issue ... and add thoughts and a vote to a wishlist item that you reminded me to add here:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=10416#10416

Thanks,
Karl
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
I think it is a 'feature'. At present AFAIK, if you copy elements involved in SEOs, the elements are copied, but not the associated operations.
I beg to differ Karl. I have copied elements and had the SEOs remain intact, or more accurately, be copied as well. I have been working with some interior trim elements and copied an entire room including the library parts I use to cut raised panels into the walls. The new room copied perfectly including the panel cuttings.

Perhaps you mean that copied elements do not retain their relationship to the original operator (or target) elements. This is, of course, as it should be.
Karl Ottenstein
Matthew wrote:
I beg to differ Karl. I have copied elements and had the SEOs remain intact, or more accurately, be copied as well.
You're right. I was wrong. Must have been remembering testing an early version or something. Sorry!

Karl
LiHigh
Newcomer
Matthew & Karl,
No doubt about SEO remain intact after copied.
But, you haven't answer my Question: why previously performed SEO no longer have any effect when placed (as module) onto another PLN file?
Howard Phua

Win 10, Archicad 19 INT
Karl Ottenstein
LiHigh wrote:
Matthew & Karl,
No doubt about SEO remain intact after copied.
But, you haven't answer my Question: why previously performed SEO no longer have any effect when placed (as module) onto another PLN file?
Sorry about the digression.

I just did a simple test with a mesh and slab, selected both, saved as MOD, opened a new file, placed the module (hotlink) and also merged it. The SEO was retained in both cases.

If you just open your MOD, or merge it, is the SEO in effect? I wonder if all elements involved in the operation weren't saved to the MOD perhaps. If they were, and it merges correctly but does not hotlink, then it may well be a file to send to GS tech support.

Karl
LiHigh
Newcomer
Karl wrote:

I just did a simple test with a mesh and slab, selected both, saved as MOD, opened a new file, placed the module (hotlink) and also merged it. The SEO was retained in both cases.

If you just open your MOD, or merge it, is the SEO in effect?
Karl
I believe SEO won't works if the targets and Operators are on different story.
But by merging, no problems.
Karl, any workaround?.........and do u know how i can have a module with all the stories' elements in it but still retain the original story informations?
Howard Phua

Win 10, Archicad 19 INT