Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

TRIMMING ANGLED COLUMNS??

Anonymous
Not applicable
HELLO.. I AM CURRENTLY BUILDING A 3D MODEL OF A ROUND LOG HOME. I AM USING ANGLED COLUMNS FOR THE PURLINS AND JOISTS. I AM TRYING TO SHOW HOW THE ROOF MEMBERS MEET, BUT CAN NOT FIGURE OUT HOW (OR IF I EVEN CAN) TRIM THE COLUMNS TO EACH OTHER TO SHOW THE SADDLE JOINTS. COULD SOMEONE LET ME KNOW IF THIS IS POSSIBLE? AND IF IT ISNT, IS THERE SOMETHING ELSE I CAN USE TO MAKE ROUND RAFTERS AND GET THEM TO TRIM IN 3D??

THANKS ALL!!
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Matthew wrote:
M_Cutrara wrote:
I AM USING ANGLED COLUMNS FOR THE PURLINS AND JOISTS.
You will probably have better results with beams. They should clean up automatically.
Well...except that the hugely ANNOYING feature of the beam tool is that when beams are angled, the ends are plumb (vertically) cut. There is no option for square cut, which is what you typically would have in a log home and various styles of conventional exposed beam tails.

Geoff Briggs suggests using the column tool to avoid this problem (a mind twist); Link notes that you can put a hole in the beam at its end, resulting in a square cut. Both are unfortunate workarounds.

Karl
Point well taken Karl. The other semi-annoying workaround is to use SEOs. I say "semi" because this at least adds the option of profiling the end cuts.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank You Karl and Matthew, I will give it a whirl! I appreciate the support.. now lets see if I can make it work!!

Michelle