Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Tip: Import AC Pens into PM Layout Book

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I have never seen why we would want different pens & colors in our PlotMaker layout books than in our ArchiCAD projects. Here is a simple tip to get your ArchiCAD Pens into PlotMaker.

As always, if you'd like a copy of this in PDF format, please contact me privately with your email address. It is only 765Kb so shouldn't be a problem for most users.

Cheers,
Link.
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is a related pen weight question that has always troubled me:

I spend time wrestling with how to set up my pen colors and weights, always refining the system. Yet, when placing Graphisoft's library parts in my drawings, I frequently find myself resetting several pen weights, often requiring a trip deep to the bottom of some heavily-parametered objects.

Is there a logic to Graphisoft's use of pens in the default settings of library parts?

After...I don't know 8 years of using this program, I would think I would have caught on to such a thing, but you never know. It would be a lovely thing to have most (all!!!) library parts look nice "out-of-the-box," assuming this didn't mean trying to adapt to an incoherent pen weight system (or non-system(.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is a good method of transferring pen colors.

I have a separate PMK file for each pen settings I use, such as electrical, framing, floor, etc.

I want my lines to have specific weights depending on what is being printed. For instance, in framing, my framing members, and all exterior and interior bearing walls are dark, but my non-bearing walls are considerable lighter. It makes it extremely easy to determine what is bearing and what isn't.

But with any method, there are problems.

For instance, I have my line weights set so that at 1/4" scale I get a specific look as mentioned above.

But, I occasionaly have to print at 3/16" scale. Does anyone know of a fast method of changing pens from 1/4" to 3/16" scale or do I have to select each pen and manually change it.

Thanks,

Grant
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can you also import different line types and fill types into plotmaker from Archicad?
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner

This is a good method of transferring pen colors.

I have a separate PMK file for each pen settings I use, such as electrical, framing, floor, etc.

I want my lines to have specific weights depending on what is being printed. For instance, in framing, my framing members, and all exterior and interior bearing walls are dark, but my non-bearing walls are considerable lighter. It makes it extremely easy to determine what is bearing and what isn't.

But with any method, there are problems.

For instance, I have my line weights set so that at 1/4" scale I get a specific look as mentioned above.

But, I occasionaly have to print at 3/16" scale. Does anyone know of a fast method of changing pens from 1/4" to 3/16" scale or do I have to select each pen and manually change it.
It seems that you have either answered your own question, or you change the scale globally when you plot to 3/16". A drawing that is placed on a sheet may have any pen mapping you want (as long as you're not using uniform pens & colors). Otherwise you can scale the pen weights with the globally (re)scaled plot file, by editing your registry as described here: http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/archiguide/ScalePenWeightinPM.html
Can you also import different line types and fill types into plotmaker from Archicad?

Not using this method Millard, but I am sure there are multiple workarounds for this. One way is to import a PMK that contains the linetypes & fills into your layout book, open it, and copy & paste the elements onto a sheet.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link, thanks for the reply. The INTL Version and US version are slightly different.

Anyone using the US version know where to find how to change the scale pen weights in the registry.

I tried using the directions that Link provided but no fiile for Scale Pen Weights. Perhaps called something different or in a different location.

Thanks,

Grant
Karl Ottenstein
NOELDESIGNS wrote:
Anyone using the US version know where to find how to change the scale pen weights in the registry.
I can confirm that the sub-key "Plot" does not appear in the registry for the US version. Rather than hack and create the sub-keys that Greg mentions in his ArchiGuide article, perhaps he can post a comment here and revise thsi ArchiGuide tip.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB