Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

US, UK and International versions of ArchiCAD

Anonymous
Not applicable
What are the actual differences between the UK, US and International versions of ArchiCAD? Would a dongle for one version be interchangable with another?

Also, I know what the student edition saves in its own format but can read full format, but the full version cannot read student version files, but there is a third version isn't there? The education version? This can read and save in both file formats..
22 REPLIES 22
__archiben
Booster
SuperJasE wrote:
What are the actual differences between the UK, US and International versions of ArchiCAD? Would a dongle for one version be interchangable with another?
the default start-up preferences and the libraries that get shipped with it. sometimes other country's distributors add some of their own objects and add-ons to the mix.

regarding dongles: archicad - the application - has no influence beyond the start-up preferences described above. the license type is held on your dongle. i have an INT dongle which i can use to start up any of the NZE installed archicad's here in the office . . . as an INT license.
Also, I know what the student edition saves in its own format but can read full format, but the full version cannot read student version files, but there is a third version isn't there? The education version? This can read and save in both file formats..
no idea! i thought the EDU version was the student version . . . ?

and is there a fully fledged UK version now?! the UK archicad has always been the INT version, but i did know that plans were afoot to customise it a little more for the UK market . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
So you are saying that any dongle can open any ArchiCAD basically? When I was at university I remember that the computers in the CAD labs could open either file version and seemed to save files that I could use at work. I think it was called the -U version? I don't know, I could be imagining the whole thing. I also assumed there was a UK version as I remember there being an update for an early version I was using when I was a student, but it was the same file as the INT version.
Aladar Kish
Contributor
I use both FRA (French) and INT applications. Until early this year when the AC9, 18xx revision came out, my INT dongle would open both of these. When the AC10 FRA version became available, late last month, Abvent changed my dongle to a FRA license which now opens both versions in 9 and 10.
FYI
AC 4.2 - AC 24 7006 FRA
mac OS 11.6.7
Anonymous
Not applicable
SuperJasE wrote:
... When I was at university I remember that the computers in the CAD labs could open either file version and seemed to save files that I could use at work. I think it was called the -U version? I don't know, I could be imagining the whole thing.

No, you're right, with v8.1, there used to be (probably still is) 2 types of educational Archicads. One for institutions (And I think it was called the U version) and one for students. Can't quite remember what the differences where - I don't think the student one could open or save as dwgs, and there was some restrictions on opening .plns (they had they're own file format), I think the U version had less restrictions.
SuperJasE wrote:
I also assumed there was a UK version as I remember there being an update for an early version I was using when I was a student, but it was the same file as the INT version.

No different UK version, I guess the .000001% of the UK CAD market that uses Archicad doesn't make it worthwhile.
Chris Phillips
Contributor
I think that you will find that the Uk and int versions are the same, occasionally GS threaten to issue a UK library but this seems to be a bit quiet at the moment. The US version has a detail library that seems to be suited for lightweight timber frame structures. Now if only GS would use English as per OED and get rid of those parochial us "isms"!
Dwight
Newcomer
Like story = storey?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I remember trying to find exactly where that Ghost Story was in ArchiCAD for my bed time reading.
Dwight
Newcomer
And just try to find a parametric Ghost Object in the library. I had to import from 3Ds and that means that the sheet is always the same.
Dwight Atkinson
Chris Phillips
Contributor
Dwight wrote:
Like story = storey?
Too true..it's like nails being dragged down a blackboard!