BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

What is the Architectural potential of space trusses?

Anonymous
Not applicable
At architecture faculty in my country, there is a Master degree thesis (something like a final work, a graduation work):

"Lightweight three dimensional grid load bearing structures (space trusses) and their relationship with architecture."

There were couple of other thesis too, but this one was the most interesting for me, so I decided to take this one, even I was not completely sure what is the main aim of this thesis.

I talked to my menthor and he said that I need to investigate the Architectural and engineering potential of these space trusses. I didn't quite understand him, but he said: "do a little search, then come back after the vacations". He said about a month ago. Unfortunately he is sick now (his second heart attack), and will probably be abcent from the faculty in next few weeks. I tried asking some other professors, but they said that he is the appropriate one (he is teaching at the "Constructions and Construction systems in Architecture" cathedry), and that I need to wait for him.
I did a little search, and found out that this systems are:

From the engineering point of view: light, fully prefabricated, easy to assemble and erect, light and convinient for transport, can cover of huge spans, material savers (the ammount of material spend is much less then at the continum systems) etc.

But I am a little bit confused about the Architectural potential of these structures - the main part of this thesis. After all I am studing the Architecture, not Engineering, so I need to focus myself mainly on the architectural potential of this structures.

So what is the Architectural potential of these structures? They are space forming structures - they define the shape of the buildings. They have an influence on the overall architectural expression. What else? I am starting to get scared, because I do not have a clue what I am going to write about this main part - the Architectural potential of space trusses.

Please, help. any kind of advice is valuable.
Thank you for all the answers.
10 REPLIES 10
Mark Wallace
Enthusiast
I agree with Richard, this is your architectural education and journey.

This forum concerns ArchiCAD as a technical tool in designing & documenting our projects, while your academic pursuit of the actual architectural technical expression of space trusses or frames in design, with their construction, form and style are perhaps best sought elsewhere.

Perhaps further within your academic architectural community or colleagues in your local or regional architectural community there are resources.

To be helpful, I agree only you can answer this.

Good Luck,

Mark
Mark R. Wallace AIA
---------------------------------------

MacBook 2.53 Ghz, Intel Core i5, 8 Gb,
Mac OSX (Sierra 10.12.6,
ArchiCAD 22 USA Full, +21, & 20.
Learn and get certified!