Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

filleting an arc and a line

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can fillet two lines, but I can't fillet an arc and a line or two arcs
12 REPLIES 12
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Great tip Alex - the hits just keep on coming don't they?

With regard to Karl's reply - GS has definitely cut a corner here (pardon the pun!). This dialog must be their standard for any fillet/chamfer. I first noticed this when I tried chamfering a corner of any polygonal element, (roof, slab, mesh, zone, fill). Even though the fillet icon is what we select in the pet palette, the fillet/chamfer dialog is what appears next.

It also seems to me that the intersect command will work with arcs and/or lines (but not polylines or splines), yet the fillet and chamfer commands will work only with lines. Furthermore, all of these commands are under the *Line* Extras menu, which contradicts the logic (and confuses new users who have been using) the 'Line' flyout tool in their unextended tool bar. These commands can also be used on walls - just don't try it in the 3D window. Maybe it's because we won't find any (2D) lines in there?. As mentioned, some of these commands can be used on polygonal shapes and all of them should be incorporated into polygonal editing more uniformly. Line Extras? Hmmmm....

GS needs to allow us to intersect, fillet and chamfer all lines, arcs, polylines and splines, walls with comparable geometry and all polygonal shapes. They should also either have separate fillet and chamfer dialog boxes, or preferably a radio button on their existing fillet/chamfer dialog box, which will save them adding a new icon in the pet palette. It just may mean they need to change it's appearance.

Lastly, I recommend to all the new users I train to assign Ctrl+I to Lines Extras>Intersect. It's set to Teamwork>Sign In by default, but even if you do use Teamwork, you are bound to intersect many more times a day, than you will be signing into a Teamwork Project.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks all for the warm nominations for tip of the month here, but with regret I must decline nomination for this tip. I appreciate that you all have been wanting this feature for a long time and I appreciate the thanks for telling you about it. But I must take a stand here. I strongly believe that the tip of the month contest should limit itself to new uses for existing tools (thinking outside of the box), not for telling everybody about existing tools that should have been made known by Graphisoft. I cannot in good conscience accept nomination for an award I don't believe should win. That would make me a hypocrite, and I do hate hypocrites. Some TOTM winners sadly are tips any one of us could have found, had we looked hard enough or in the right place. This feature is an existing one, and it's right there smack dab in front of your face. All of you would have found it eventually. Also, I'm not the only ArchiCAD-Talker than knew (and posted) of this feature. So thanks for the thoughts, but please, not this tip. I have my pride to think about.

My other tips are game though. Especially for tip of the year. I'm still waiting on that chair. I have the umbrella though. I love it. It's a very very nice umbrella.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
And I nominate this discovery for "Most-Annoying-Just-Waiting-To-Be-Discovered-Eureka-Moment-of-All-ArchiCAD-Time." We should call it the "Mouse Quiver of the Century" describing the erotic and joyful pulse of amazement that travels up the arm when the discovery actually works. My arm, anyways.
That award I will take. Thank you very much Dwight!