Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

how to create a roof like a daniel libeskin building?

Anonymous
Not applicable
i need to know how to create a roof similar to the one below. However this one is made up of two single roofs joined evenly with a mesh attached onto the side with zero thickness. what i would love to know how to do is use only the roof tool to create this so that i can trim the walls after (notice the wall using the mesh tool isnt extended all the way). below is an image of the floor plan along with an axo. keep in mind that you need to be able to manipulate the Z axis which i dont know how to do with the roof too to create angled, slanted roofs.

Screen shot 2011-05-31 at 1.33.16 AM.png
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein
You can easily create this roof with the roof tool ..if you do it in the 3D window.

When you create a roof in 3D, you click 3 points to define the plane in which the roof is created - and then create the roof itself. Afterwards, adjust the shape and use the usual ctrl-click to join adjacent roof planes properly.

This process is for the pre-15 roof tool, or the single-plane roof in 15.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
i dont understand what you mean. when i go into 3-d window to move and shape the roof plane, i am only able to move the whole roof up or down or change the angle along the pivot line. what i want to do is manipulate the two nodes along the pivot line so that the roof is slanted and at an angle.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl is talking about creating a new roof. To manipulate an existing roof plane you need to change the orientation of the pivot line, which might be very difficult to calculate, so you are better off starting with a new roof plane in the 3D window.

Its a good idea to add your AC version and whether you are Mac or PC in a signature line (in Profile, link above) as answers may vary in different versions.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not quite sure what the problem is. It does appear that what you want is relatively easy with the roof tool, but if the mesh tool is better for your purpose there are (at least) two options:

1. Make the mesh. Make a copy and lower it by the thickness of the roof. Use SEO to subtract the lower mesh from the upper one. (...and of course put the operator on a hidden layer)

2. Make the mesh. Use the "Mesh to Roof" add-on (available under Help > ArchiCAD ## Downloads) to convert to roof elements.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Kyle -
You have two roofs already, right? If you didn't have this figured out already, to add the third one:
- option-click one of the existing roofs, and open the roof tool settings.
- reset the height (of the pivot line) at same height as the ridge where you want all three planes to meet. This should be precise. I would leave the roof pitch alone for now, but you can calculate what it should be, or guess and reset that too. You can tinker with the pitch later, if need be.
- select the polygon construction geometry. This is not critical; you can use the rectangle CG method and drag the corners to where you want them later.
- draw the pivot line from that common intersection point perpendicular to the direction you want the new roof to slope. It looks like this might be parallel to one of the diagonals across the walls below. Maybe you have a particular slope direction in mind. Hard to tell from here. This can be adjusted later, but it will affect how everything else
- click on the high side of the pivot line so that the roof shape you draw will slope down from the pivot line.
- draw a shape for the third roof. Again, you can be as accurate or sloppy as you like with this. You adjust the edge and corner locations later.
Check the intersection of the roof planes in the 3D window. Chances are that the second and third roof planes do not meet at a clean dihedral. so... - Select the third roof plane, and command-click the adjacent roof plane edge to adjust it to intersect the third roof plane. Then do the same thing again, but with the third roof plane selected first. You may need to do this in a plan view.
You should now have a clean ridge between planes 2 and 3. If this ridge is where you want it, and the bottom corner and edges of the third roof are where you want them, you are done. If not, tweak the plan location of the free end of the pivot line, and/or the corner locations and overhangs in plan, and/or change the roof pitch to your taste, then readjust the ridge dihedral between roofs 2 and 3 with the double command-click trick as above.
Last of all, adjust wall heights and trim them to the roof above.
I think should do it.
This is not necessarily the most efficient way to go about this. If you know how the plan geometry is developed, and exactly how you want the third roof to sit on it, you may be able to construct the third roof so that it does not need to be adjusted, stretched and fit.
This post covers some fairly rudimentary techniques, but the question seemed to warrant it. I don't often have time to get in here, but did tonight.