Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

how to show can lights in a sloped ceiling

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trying to generate a 3D interior view showing can lights in a sloped ceiling.
Can anyone tell me how to show this. As far as I can see the only tool that sticks to a roof is the skylight tool but I haven't figured out how to tweek that so I can make a respectable 3D can light.

can light=concealed ceiling fixture

Thank you,
John
13 REPLIES 13
Barry Kelly
Don't forget you have the "Gravity to roof" option when placing any element or object.
Just make sure you have all other roofs turned off except for the ceiling.
The other thing is they will all sit on top of the ceiling (roof) unless you have an option in the object to drop them down a bit.
If not you may have to put them all in and then drop them all together by the ceiling thickness.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Stress Co_
Advisor
Hi John:
You could use the "Cone" object from: Special Construction> Basic Shapes> (in AC13).

Adjust the bottom circle radius as desired, place it in the ceiling and SEO it out (Subtract w/ downward extrusion, inherit attributes of operator). Ceiling has to be thicker than the cone. Hide the cone's layer.

It would create an oval hole in the ceiling as from a sloped ceiling can (as opposed to a round hole from a flat ceiling can).

You could place a lamp object in the cavity if your lighting a scene.

There must be a recessed can object out there somewhere
-Maleko

EDIT: Somewhat on topic discussed HERE
Screen shot 2012-03-08 at 8.26.17 PM.png
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Don't forget you have the "Gravity to roof" option when placing any element or object.
Barry.
Aloha Barry,
Thanks for the tip. I always forget that the Gravity Tool is there.
My problem is getting a recessed can light to tilt to the angle of my sloped ceiling. ArchiCAD 11 does have a recessed can light in the lighting tool library. Unfortunately, it does not seem to have a setting to tilt it to match a sloped ceiling.
Thanks,
John
Anonymous
Not applicable
Stress wrote:
There must be a recessed can object out there somewhere
Aloha Marc,
Thanks for the tip about the cone. Cleaver idea.
I actually do want a round hole in the ceiling. Recessed can lights in sloped ceiling have a round trim ring which is what I'm trying to model. For now I'm just going to cut a round hole in a thin ceiling element created with the roof tool. That will give me the basic shape without the trim ring.
Then I'll take your tip and put a light source behind the ceiling for the projected light.
This would be much easier with a Library object that could change angles to match a sloped ceiling.
I'm surprised that that this type of lamp isn't a stock Library Object. I ageee with you, "There must be a recessed can object that will work for a sloped ceiling out there somewhere.
Thanks,
John
Barry Kelly
You could try saving your light as a new object (so as not to lose the original) and change the subtype to be a skylight.

Then you would have to add a ROTx ac_roofang command at the beginning of your 3D script to get the automatic roof slope.

I'm not sure what will happen to the hole in the roof.
You might just have to try it and see what happens.
I haven't played with skylight objects at all.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
Close but no cigar.
I have no idea how the roof hole is cut.
Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
You could try saving your light as a new object (so as not to lose the original) and change the subtype to be a skylight.

Then you would have to add a ROTx ac_roofang command at the beginning of your 3D script to get the automatic roof slope.

Barry.
I'm trying this but I've never done any kind of scripting for a GSM before.
How would I change the subtype to Skylight? I didn't see that as an option or script line.
I added the line:
ROTx ac_roofang above the first line of the 3D script after the object name but errors kept popping up when I tried checking the script.
Thanks,
John
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Close but no cigar.
I have no idea how the roof hole is cut.
Barry.
cutting the roof hole is the easy part.
1) select the roof with the roof tool selected. (Right click, select and activate tool.
2) on the pet palette select the subtract operator (the one with the minus sign)
3) make a 4"x4" square hole in the roof
4) select a corner of the hole in the roof and select the fillet option on the pet palette.
5) set the fillet to 1 63/64" and select "all corners".
Prestico, Magico you should have a fairly round looking 4" hole in the roof.

Now, how can I get the tilting library object that you just made? 🙂

Thanks,
John
Barry Kelly
Set the subtype here.
You may be getting the error becausr the "ac_roofang" parameter doesn't exist till you set the roof type.
Barry.
sky-light_3.jpg
Versions 6.5 to 27