Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

mesh contours

Ben Cohen
Advocate
hello

Is it possible to create contour lines on meshes, at a nominated height? Similar to the way you can create roof level lines. From what I know it cant be done.

I imagine being able to input heights from a site plan at measured but random points then have archicad do the interpolation to find the contours
Might be one for the wish list if there is no work around

any thoughts or suggestions??
Ben
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
Archicad (Latest Version) aus
www.4DLibrary.com.au
18 REPLIES 18
Yep. Buy ArchiTerra as an add-on.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Ben Cohen
Advocate
Really!!, it seams like such a basic thing that archicad should do it out of the box. If it can do the roof level lines surely "mesh level lines" are the next logical tool to add instead of forcing the purchase of 3rd party software
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
www.4DLibrary.com.au
Well, there IS a mesh to roof tool. So maybe you could get contour lines that way?

Seriously, though, thinking this way will only lead you to aggravation, ulcers, and hair loss. (I, for example, think AC SHOULD be capable of *easily* producing a door or window schedule. But that's just my wacky, far out thinking.) Pretty soon, you give up, pay the $175 for a useful tool, and move on. It's just part of the total cost of ownership that isn't really, ahem, mentioned up front. Sort of like, you buy an expensive sports car, and then discover that you actually have to pay money for gas, oil, and maintenance, too? (Well, same with a cheap car, but you get the point...)
Richard
Ben Cohen
Advocate
yes yes, I suppose AC can't be all things to all people but..... doesn't everyone create site plans and need contours??
(I, for example, think AC SHOULD be capable of *easily* producing a door or window schedule. But that's just my wacky, far out thinking.)
interactive schedule isn't THAT bad is it ?

BTW I am resisting the temptation to enter into the old TCO argument that has been bandied around sooooo many times , I think archicad is great, the best. But it is expensive (you want the best you have to pay for it) and therefore it hurts when you have to justify more money for CAD purchases.
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
www.4DLibrary.com.au
Djordje
Ace
Ben wrote:
Is it possible to create contour lines on meshes, at a nominated height? Similar to the way you can create roof level lines. From what I know it cant be done.
Do you have the survey DXF or DWG? Are the contours splines or at least closed? Is it 2D only?

If it is 3D, or if you get XYZ list, you are MUCH better off with ArchiTerra (especially for the roads, plots, plateaus, water bodies, not to mention the library of greenery etc). If not, trudge on.

Open it, place your mesh on top.

Set the Magic Wand tracing as desired, activate the mesh tool, select the mesh, space click/magic wand the contours into new mesh points.

Click and hold on each contour, specifying the new level, making sure you check "Apply to all" - that is for the contour only.

Should be OK.

Look for the advice and articles on ArchiGuide re the meshing - a few Tips of the month have been won on this, and there is extensive information.

So, you can do it in ArchiCAD (ArchiCAD on its own can't do anything, as any other software - you have to use it!) but IMHO ArchiTerra is really worth it!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Oh, I thought Ben was asking if AC could create automatic contour lines from a mesh that had been created from elevation points alone.
Richard
Ben Cohen
Advocate
Yes, thanks but I have read the archiguide tips on contours (which are great), but as Richard said, I was after mesh level lines.
I am sure that Architerra is a great product, but I am concerned about the backwards compatability of all these 3rd party applications. In five years time when I am using archicad r14 (pun intended) I will have to upgrade to architerra r7,archiforma,door builder etcetcetc, just to be able to open old files correctly. ie once you commit there is no going back!!
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
www.4DLibrary.com.au
Ben:

I may not be the best one to answer this, but my understanding is that ArchiTerra is just creating native AC meshes, so there shouldn't be any future compatibility problems. Similarly, most other add-ons create native GDL objects and the like.
Richard
Djordje
Ace
Richard wrote:
Ben:

I may not be the best one to answer this, but my understanding is that ArchiTerra is just creating native AC meshes, so there shouldn't be any future compatibility problems. Similarly, most other add-ons create native GDL objects and the like.
Sorry, I misunderstood the question ... duh ... maybe I should start sleeping, too?

As for the compatibility - the objects created are native, so forward compatibility is ensured. Backwards was never a strong point of any software I know ... and the logical development oof ArchiCAD's API and GDL makes sure that you will need a fresh AddOn version for each fresh ArchiCAD.

We also upgrade computers, cars, mobiles, DVD players (anyone still running a Beta video?) etc ... that's life.

PS Still using the calculator I bought when starting university in 1980 😉
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen