Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

trim to roof command.

Anonymous
Not applicable
question: does anybody even use the trim to roof command?

I did when I first started about 8 months ago. But quickly I found out if I alter the roof at all the wall would not adjust. I switched over to SEO with subtraction w/ upwards extrusion. works much, much better.

So am I missing something here. Or is the trim to roof completely unnecessary?

Erik.
7 REPLIES 7
Karl Ottenstein
I haven't used the trim to roof (TTR) command much since SEOps arrived in version 8. (This command is renamed "Crop to Roof" in AC 15.)

It is less compute-intensive than a (dynamic) solid element subtract. So, I primarily see the benefit for quick and dirty things where you don't want to keep the cutting plane around, or where the cutting plane is not located directly over the element's final position, or stuff that is multiplied all over the place. I've not had either need, myself.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Trim to roof was around a long time before SEO ever came to ArchiCAD. So it's a bit of a legacy command, but it still serves a purpose that SEO doesn't and that is it doesn't require a roof to always be there. Once trimmed, the roof can be deleted and the trim will remain.

That has benefits such as when you know the trim will never (or very rarely) change. Trimming the top of a sloping fence, for example. It also comes in handy for inter-story trims when hotlink moduling, as the SEO does not transfer the same way.

You can also use find and select to locate trimmed elements.

That's about all the differences I can think of off the top of my head. I think GS could easily build better features into SEO, like the ability to 'embed' the operation, F&S differently SEO'd elements, making operations stick in inter-story modules, etc.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
You have to Undo Roof Trim first, then repeat Trim to Roof operation.
Undo Roof Trim.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
I haven't used the trim to roof (TTR) command much since SEOps arrived in version 8. (This command is renamed "Crop to Roof" in AC 15.)

It is less compute-intensive than a (dynamic) solid element subtract. So, I primarily see the benefit for quick and dirty things where you don't want to keep the cutting plane around, or where the cutting plane is not located directly over the element's final position, or stuff that is multiplied all over the place. I've not had either need, myself.

Cheers,
Karl
Haha. thanks Karl. I must say i am pleased to find out I haven't been doing it the wrong way for the last 8 months. Lots of history here. Thanks for sharing.

Thhx Andro for the tip on the undo roof trim. I didn't know about that.

Link, a legacy command is kind of what I thought it was. Interesting point on the roof not needing to be there. I can't think of practical application for my own work, but it may come. Yeah sloped fence. i feel my eyes glazing over when I try to think of all the +/-'s of this. anyway, application will help me work this out.

*on a side note* I can't wait to get my grubby hands on 15. we have the subscription, doesn't that mean we should be getting it any day?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Andro, did not know that too! And was driving me crazy when I had to change something.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it because it return to it original shape when you delete ?
Barry Kelly
sampson wrote:
Is it because it return to it original shape when you delete ?
The original 'Trim to roof' - now called 'Crop to single plane roof' is a fixed trim/crop.
You can delete the roof and the wall will remain cropped - you have to 'Undo all crops' in the wall settings to remove it and then crop again if need be.

The 'Trim to roof' or Solid Element Operations are live connections.
Adjust or delete the roof and the trim will automatically adjust or delete as well.
If you don't want to see the roof then you place it in a hidden layer so it can't be seen but the connection is still live because the roof still exists.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11