cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

why do GUIDE LINES keep disappearing?

Anonymous
Not applicable
i'm having trouble keeping my guide lines from disappearing. the first time it happened, i realized that my guide line was simply toggled off. i switched it back on and my guide lines came back.

however soon after they were off again, and none of my settings appeared to be different. i checked through archicad help to no avail and finally had to result to closing and restarting the program. upon opening my guide lines started appearing again, but less than 5 minutes later they were gone again.

does anyone have any idea as to why this could be happening? i don't seem to be doing any out of the ordinary command that would be causing the guide lines to stop showing up.

thanks!
16 REPLIES 16
__archiben
Booster
lschneider wrote:
does anyone have any idea as to why this could be happening? i don't seem to be doing any out of the ordinary command that would be causing the guide lines to stop showing up.
guide lines can be toggled on and off with a single key shortcut. check what it is and see if you're hitting that key inadvertently whilst working . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks ben - but i'm afraid thats not the case. when i notice the guide lines are gone i go through all my settings and everything still shows that guide lines should showing up. (archicad help says that there are multiple ways to change your guide lines settings and all three of these ways tell me that the guide lines are on).

thanks though!
Dennis Lee
Booster
Let me guess...

AC11?
Windows XP?

If yes, then it might have something to do w/ direct x settings. probably the "feedback" portion of this article:

http://www.archicadwiki.com/2D_speed?highlight=%282d%29%7C%28speed%29

If the above page doesn't help you, maybe turning direct x off may be the only temporary solution...

http://www.archicadwiki.com/DirectX?highlight=%28x%29%7C%28direct%29
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
SO I ALSO FOLLOWED ALL OTHER SUGGESTIONS, AND CHECKED EVERYTHING I COULD THINK OF. DID lschneider EVER GET IT STRAIGHT. I AM USING A MAC, AND THE ONLY WAY I CAN GET AROUND THIS ISSUE IS BY CLOSING THE FILE AND RE-OPENING IT. BUT RECENTLY THAT HAS GOTTEN OUT OF HAND AS WELL. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Anonymous
Not applicable
When you say they keep disappearing, do you mean when they are still blue, before you stroke along them to confirm, or after? They wont stay for long unless you 'confirm' them by turning them orange. Even then they only remain until you have finished a particular function before vanishing. If they didn't you would end up with thousands all over the screen!

If you wanted a more permanent guide line, perhaps just use a normal line, then delete or turn off when finished.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I UNDERSTAND. SO I FIGURED OUT THAT IT IS NOT "GUIDE LINES" IT IS THE BLACK LINE THAT IS CONNECTED TO THE CURSOR WHEN IN A COMMAND. THE DIRECTIONAL LINE THAT DISPLAYS WHERE YOUR CURSOR IS GOING. IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS. I CAN'T DO ANYTHING WITHOUT THIS LINE.

ANY THOUGHTS
Anonymous
Not applicable
Could you post a screen shot of what is (or isn't) happening. I'm not sure exactly what line you are refering to.

This is what it looks like when I draw a line. (A little pencil icon also appears at the end, but this is not copyed in a screen shot.)

Is yours similar?
Anonymous
Not applicable
EXACTLY, THE SCREEN SHOT IS VERY HELPFULL. THE BLACK LINE ON THE SCREEN SHOT. FOR EXAMPLE. IF YOU SELECT POLYLINE, AND CLICK THE FIRST TIME, A PENCIL SHOWS UP WITH THE BLACK LINE THAT VISUALLY SHOWS YOU WHERE THE CURSOR IS GOING. THEN YOU SECOND CLICK, AND YOU HAVE A LINE. THE BLACK LINE THAT SHOWS UP AFTER YOUR FIRST CLICK, THE BLACK LINE IN YOUR SCREEN SHOT. IT JUST DISAPPEARS AND NO MATTER WHAT COMMAND I SELECT, THE "BLACK" LINE ISN'T THERE. I HAVE TO SAVE AND REOPEN THE DRAWING. BUT NOW ITS HAPPENING MUCH MORE OFTEN.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I understand your problem now, but sadly I have no idea what causes it. I can see this would be very frustrating! Have you contacted your reseller perhaps.

I don't recall anyone posting anything similar recently so it sounds like a fairly uncommon problem. It may be a config problem specific to your machine perhaps. Have you tried reinstalling AC and then applying the latest updates?

I'm sorry not to be able to help further, maybe someone else has come across this? I hope you sort it out anyway!