Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Thanks to Graphisoft and Erasmus I am still in architecture field

davidzsibrita
Booster

First meet with Archicad

I was learning at a technical high school (BSZC Vásárhelyi Pál Technikum és Kollégium), where we also learned structural engineering and practical knowledge of the construction industry. My class teacher, Antal Török, showed us the Archicad program and we, along with other classmates, were totally enthusiastic about Archicad. We started building simple family houses and concepts. I was 16 at the time and we drew and modeled with Archicad 13. Morph wasn't even part of the program back then, but you could really model a lot with objects, slabs or walls.

3.jpg

davidzsibrita_1-1664298881508.jpeg

davidzsibrita_2-1664298881511.jpeg

davidzsibrita_3-1664298881514.jpeg

davidzsibrita_4-1664298881517.jpeg

We also learned a lot about constructions. During the technical high school, we had studied civil engineering rather than architecture. For example, we also calculated steel quantities for joists and slabs and some of us drew also the plans with Archicad, it was much easier to draw with computer in the right scale than by hand on paper.

Vasbeton.png

First meet with BME

After high school, I started studying architecture at BME (Budapest University of Technology and Economics). I started college with full expectations.

Like other students who came from a technical high school, I did very well in structural theory, building construction, descriptive geometry and very poorly in design. The projects were well honored, which were based on a good idea and had as little to do with construction as possible. I basically got okay grades, I thought it would get better, but at some point, it became obvious that I had to find something else because I don't want to do this job until I retire.

Erasmus in Aachen

As an option, I got to know the Erasmus program and knew that I could take a break and think about what I could study as an alternative and thus stop studying architecture. I have successfully applied to the FH Aachen, apart from a few necessary architecture subjects, I have also chosen marketing as a free subject and made buffer time where I could attend other subjects. I have also learned other designer programs, randomly attended different courses, such as construction management, statics, facility management, marketing in English. In the meantime, it came clear that I could become a marketing manager, for example...

The Erasmus semester was slowly coming to an end, meanwhile I also took part in interesting projects in the field of architecture, worked on a project of urban size in a team, so I also learned a lot. But it was time to go back to my uni. Of course, I didn't want it. It was possible to extend the Erasmus with one semester. I did it so. I have chosen an interesting timber construction project and Business German as subjects. Besides them I also had enough time to work.

Job with Archicad

I was looking for a job and finally got the opportunity to work by ZHAC architects. It was great, they had just switched from another software to Archicad. I had to rebuild different projects from 2D DWG to 3D in Archicad. Apparently, they were satisfied with me too and I enjoyed it myself. I have gathered practical experience and seen how to work with CAD software. I also worked on a modular project, on a student dormitory, and I found it very cool how quickly you can change or detail everything at once. There are some projects on the website that I also worked on: https://zhac.de/projects/

It was architecture, and it was still fun, like back then at the technical high school. Then the idea came up to finish the university (with as little energy as possible) and look for a job in the BIM, Archicad world. It's possible with an architecture diploma, I don't have to start anything from scratch, but it's still fun...

Back at university

I have started to use the knowledge that I learned in Aachen. E.g., as a complex project, I also planned a student residence with modules.

borító.png

davidzsibrita_11-1664299463014.png

In the gaps in my schedule, I chose interesting subjects such as Marketing, Product Management, Investment, City Development, GDL Programming and Advanced Archicad courses. That's when I first got in touch with my future colleagues from Graphisoft. It was fun attending the courses, deepening my knowledge, and working in a team. It was also the time when Graphisoft was looking for new colleagues in the support team. I also applied and later got the opportunity to work at Graphisoft.

Intern at Graphisoft

Besides the university I was able to work a bit and it was interesting to see how a multinational IT company works. With all the knowledge I had learned from other subjects, I tried to understand how the whole Graphisoft works. During this time, I also got to know Archicad a lot better and saw many examples of how users use the program. I also attended university and was relatively close to my diploma, but I also knew that I could still apply for an Erasmus internship and thus gain experience abroad...

Internship Erasmus in Munich

Because I have worked at Graphisoft anyway, I basically wanted to stay at the company and apply to Graphisoft Germany with my language knowledge of German. But at the Erasmus Office they said it wouldn't be good if I didn't apply directly to an architecture office, I probably wouldn't get the scholarship... At the same time, I also got the answer from Graphisoft Germany. They also found it better if I still gain experience in an architectural office and they knew an office that could make good use of my Archicad knowledge. So, I moved to Munich for a semester and started working by delaossaarchitekten.

It was nice there to work on practical projects where I had to solve complex problems with Archicad as an architect. Quite often I modeled in the urban planning scale and could very well use the schedules and properties. From modeling to layouts, I've learned a lot and seen a lot of challenges. It was fun again. But it only lasted one semester, I had to finish my diploma and finish university...

Thesis in the Graphisoft Park

I was back at university and working at Graphisoft again and knew university wasn't going to be long. I wanted to simplify my thesis as much as possible. In Munich I visited many gyms and recorded their usage scheme. I wanted to find the location near me, so if I had to visit it, I didn't have to go far. The fitness as function passed very well with Graphisoft Park, because many people have a need for sports, and it was not offered in the immediate vicinity. (At least that was the statement of my diploma project.) So, I analyzed the Graphisoft Park and heard many stories from colleagues about the development of the Park.

davidzsibrita_8-1664298881605.png

davidzsibrita_9-1664298881679.png

davidzsibrita_10-1664298881738.png

Gym at the Graphisoft Park, rendered by Gábor K. Szabó

Last Erasmus - 2020

On my Faculty I could apply for an Erasmus grant for a total of 4 semesters. I still had 1 semester left and for my luck, it was possible to use the Erasmus right after the diploma semester as a beginner. After a short search, it seemed logical to work for delaossaarchitekten again. It is a good carrier start and I am in Münich near to Graphisoft Germany.

What could go wrong?

A month later when I started, the whole Europe was under lockdown because of Covid19 virus. There were challenges in front of the office, we had to set up home office options and find solutions for continuous work. During this time, I had a better understanding of the VPN access and BIMcloud and partly helped to supervise them. Since then, I have been with delaossaarchitekten and am responsible for Archicad issues.

Still architect thanks Graphisoft and Erasmus…