Parametric design
About Rhino & Grasshopper and PARAM-O.

macOS Mojave 10.14.6 // AC23 // Rhino6 connection issue

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear Forum,

I'm new to Archicad but planned to dive into the program with some basic grasshopper play-arounds, starting with the official Archicad tutorial about algorithmic design and the grasshopper-connection.

But for some reasons Archicad can't set up the connection to Grasshopper

I already reinstalled the Connection addon (build-3007) but nothing changed. The installation itself goes through without any problems...

For me it seams like that some port listening or double port occupation without recognizing of archicad could be the problem but dont know if there is an option to manually change the listening port in Archicad?
Or some other more easy issues on my side?

Thanks for help in advance and greets!

31 REPLIES 31
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

First of all, thank you for reporting the issue here and I am sorry about the experience!

We have a couple of reports recently about the connection issue with Rhino via Grasshopper add-on. To pinpoint the problem exactly, I kindly ask you to carry out the test below:

We will use a Python script to attempt to build a wall in ARCHICAD using the same port that the Grasshopper-ARCHICAD Live Connection add-on uses. This will help us to see if the problem is on ARCHICAD's or with Rhino's side.

1. Please download the latest Python version (3.8.1) from this website: https://www.python.org/downloads/

2. Run and install Python fully (with admin rights, it is very important)

3. Open ARCHICAD and start/activate the Grasshopper-ARCHICAD Live Connection add-on. (Rhino does not need to be running, as we are only testing things from ARCHICAD’s side now).

4. Download the attached file "Teszt.py" (Please make sure to have it located in the Downloads folder. This is very important)

5. Open the Terminal App and type the following:

sudo python3 /Users/<username folder>/Downloads/Teszt.py

(<username folder> would be the user’s own username account. For example, my username folder is MNguyen so I would have it like this:
Sudo python3 /Users/Mnguyen/Downloads/Teszt.py)

6. Once you typed this line correctly, hit enter, and if you set a password for your account, Terminal will ask you to enter the password, after that hit enter again. Please take a screenshot of the Terminal App at this stage.

By now, please check if a wall was built in ARCHICAD, and let me know of the results.

Thank you for your help! I look forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

P/s: Here is the link to the script:
https://graphisoft.sharefile.com/d-sb5de28c4d874b14a

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

justdhruv
Contributor
Any update on this? I have the same issue.
ArchiCAD 20. MacBook Pro 17", 2010
+ core i7 4970k Hackintosh
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
justdhruv wrote:
Any update on this? I have the same issue.
Hi,

Thank you for raising the question!

Can you elaborate a bit more on the exact issue here? Which ARCHICAD and Rhino version are you using? Which machine and operating system that the issue is happening on?

For this specific case, until the first update of AC23, with ARCHICAD 23 build 3003 the connection with Rhino 6 might not be fully supported. To use Rhino 6 you need to install the first update, which is build 4006. You may try to run Rhino 5 with AC 23 3003 to see if it works for you!

Let me know if this helps!

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

justdhruv
Contributor
Thanks for your support.

My machine is
Macbook Pro 15" (late 2018 model)
Mac OS 10.15.4

I am running Archicad 23 INT(4006) and rhino 6. i am attaching a screen shot. It says using different ports, whereas they are using same port.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

Thank you for your answer! Unfortunately, this does not provide enough information for me to investigate further. Have you attempted to test the script above to see if a wall is created in ARCHICAD?

I would kindly ask you to carry out a few tests to gather some more information:

- Are there any other ARCHICAD/Rhino versions installed on your computer?

- (Before proceeding, I recommend the user save all his/her work.)
Please open the Terminal and type the following:

sudo shutdown -r now

(This will shutdown and restart the computer while killing unnecessary background processes)
After the computer starts up, attempt to establish the connection again following these exact steps, step by step:
1. Open ARCHICAD
2. Open Rhino & then Grasshopper
3. Open a new empty document in Grasshopper (File -> New)
4. Open the Grasshopper Connection dialog and establish connection.
5. If after 10 seconds, the connection does not get established, then navigate to Grasshopper File -> Connect Document to ARCHICAD, and select the file then click connect.

- (As the last resort) Please create a completely new and fresh user account on your computer, and install nothing on it except for ARCHICAD, Rhino & Grasshopper, and the Grasshopper-ARCHICAD Live Connection add-on. Once you did that, please attempt to establish the connection to see if it is successful.

Let me know the result of the above tests! Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

justdhruv
Contributor
thank you Mihn,

I have latest AC 23 and Rhino.
they are the only versions installed

sudo shutdown -r now

did not work

but your python script created a wall in archicad

i did not try to create a new user as yet
thanks
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

Thank you very much for the information! For the final test, when you have some free time, could you carry out the last one (create a new user and install nothing but AC23, Rhino 6 and Live connection addon) and let me know the result if the connection goes well or not?

Thank you very much for your help, and I am sorry for the inconvenience!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

justdhruv
Contributor
No luck.
I created another user.
ArchiCAD 23 and rhino were already installed in applications
Had to install ArchiCAD grasshopper connection...
Same “port” error
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

Thank you for your help in this case! I think we'll need some help from the developer in this case to clarify the issue.

I would like to ask you one more question about this: have you ever installed Rhino 5 or any previous Live Connection add-on version?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT