BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Hotlink Modules and Labels in the Main Project

gdford
Advisor

I have used hotlink modules for a long time, but I have never needed to label elements that come into  from a hotlink until now.  I know you can get labels to come in with the hotlink, but coordination of the label placement to the Main Project is difficult. I know you can label a hotlinked element in the Main Project by using the Properties and Classification Label, but then this label vanishes if the hotlink is deleted.... Sometimes I have trouble with hotlinks and I have to delete them and then replace it to get them to update. Doing this will remove any label placed in the Main Project on the hotlinked element. 
Is there a path of dealing with this issue?

It seems to me that the label placed on a hotlinked element should not remove itself when the hotlink is deleted, but should have the smarts to hang around and relink itself if the hotlink files comes back or at least hang around so I can re-attach it to the hotlinked element. It seems like there must be a way to deal with this.

Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly

@gdford wrote:

It seems to me that the label placed on a hotlinked element should not remove itself when the hotlink is deleted, but should have the smarts to hang around and relink itself if the hotlink files comes back or at least hang around so I can re-attach it to the hotlinked element. It seems like there must be a way to deal with this.

The hotlink you bring back could be completely different to the one you deleted, so the labels may not be able to auto-associate (even if they could).

All I can think is to make the labels independent before you delete the hotlink, and then re-associate them when you add a new hotlink.

Or you need to label in the hotlink itself and deal with the co-ordination issue.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
gdford
Advisor

thanks Barry

Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Learn and get certified!