Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

SNAPPING TO CORE ONLY - Oldie but a goodie, sorry guys

Anonymous
Not applicable
i know that i have beat this to death, but after upgrading from 10 to 15, it was one of the first things i was testing.

i have set preferences to the correct "test" wall composite and dimension setting that i know of. it snaps to the core fine, but snaps to every other layer as well. i have set all of the layers to "other" with only the stud wall being "core". i have also checked the box in the dim settings to "dim only the core of comp...."

- i dont know what i am missing! this is killing me. lol.

hEEELLLLPPPP, thanks in advance!

windows.jpg
5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly
It doesn't matter what settings you make you will still be able to snap to all skins of the wall at the ends or corners of the wall.

The dimension core only works only when you use the mercedes cursor on the edge of a wall to place the wall thickness dimension.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
you mean that even in ArchiCad 15 i cant quickly run a string of core wall dimensions without having to worry if if it is snapping to the gyp or some other skin layer?

it is far to cumbersome to zoom in, then out, making sure that i have selected the right layer. what a pain!

i thought this would have been surely cleaned up in this version, somehow some way. sadly this is what i was most looking forward to by upgrading. that and not having to select with direction my dim string would run.

i was hoping that at this point AC would have caught up to or come close to REVIT in its dimensioning capabilities. -real simple; select skin, core, or center line. done.

At least i know the mercedes cursor will work.

thanks.
Barry Kelly
knosaj wrote:
you mean that even in ArchiCad 15 i cant quickly run a string of core wall dimensions without having to worry if if it is snapping to the gyp or some other skin layer?
Of course you can by clicking with the mercedes cursor on the length of the wall.
Never click at the ends or corners unless you want to pick a particular node.

The mercedes cursor even works over doors and windows if they take up the entire wall.
Just be sure not to click on the end or centre of the frame.

Just noticed it is only a mercedes cursor for the first wall then it reverts to the pen icon with line but works the same.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
ok GREAT. i had this option all along, FOR THE PAST 6 MONTHS!

unfortunately the person who was teaching me said that i should NEVER dimension to the mercedes symbol.

now i know.

thanks!