BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Video Card Help

Anonymous
Not applicable
My former system was Windows XP SP3, dual processor, 1.86 GHz, 2 Gb ram, Video card Nvidia Geforce 7950GT

My new system: W7, I7 990 6 core processor, 3.47 Ghz, 24 Gb ram with an ATI Radeon HD 5870

I work with a 52 Mb project file. I can fly around smoothly in perspective 3d on my older system but the 3d movement on my newer system is very jumpy.

Should I dump the Radeon and go back to an Nvidia card? Anyone else have this happen?
3 REPLIES 3
Karl Ottenstein
fdrandel wrote:
My new system: W7, I7 990 6 core processor, 3.47 Ghz, 24 Gb ram with an ATI Radeon HD 5870

I work with a 52 Mb project file. I can fly around smoothly in perspective 3d on my older system but the 3d movement on my newer system is very jumpy.
Are you in AC 15? I have a client with the same card on Win 7 who is seeing very strange jumpiness in walking through pretty simple single family homes. Motion is smooth, then stops, then starts moving again, then stops, etc. Is this what you're seeing?

Possibly a video driver issue - worth making sure it is up-to-date - but might be an AC 15 issue, too...

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Are you in AC 15? I have a client with the same card on Win 7 who is seeing very strange jumpiness in walking through pretty simple single family homes. Motion is smooth, then stops, then starts moving again, then stops, etc. Is this what you're seeing?
I noticed this as well in AC15. You can navigate around in the 3d window then every 5 seconds it pauses for a fraction of a second, causing it to jerk.

After a bit of experimenting I believe the cause is having Windows Media Player open in the background - it doesn't even have to be playing! I have no idea why AC15 is affected, as it was fine in AC14 and below! Could this be the same problem you are seeing in Win 7?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Maybe you should check your anti-virus software. since autosave in AC15 is set to ultra-safe by default please make sure, that directories for autosave, cache and temporary files are excluded.
Learn and get certified!